Solved - please close/delete

tsur1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,
I am a college student and as part of my education i took a course called "Virtual Worlds", in this course i have built a product.

Now I have to market and sell it as part of this workshop, so firstly i would like to ask for any tips on how to sell it through a vendor and or placing a free version on some island. If someone is involved in such activities i would be thrilled to get some help from him!
I have thought about selling a version to an island owner where he can charge per ride, thing is I'm not sure where I can locate island owners who would be interested in this sort of product.
At the moment im selling mostly face to face and on the marketplace, which actually isnt going that bad.
Thanks for all the help & feedback!

tsur1 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am a college student and as part of my education i took a course called "Virtual Worlds", in this course i have built the following product - 

Now I have to market and sell it as part of this workshop, so firstly i would like to ask for any tips on how to sell it through a vendor and or placing a free version on some island. If someone is involved in such activities i would be thrilled to get some help from him!

I have thought about selling a version to an island owner where he can charge per ride, thing is I'm not sure where I can locate island owners who would be interested in this sort of product.

At the moment im selling mostly face to face and on the marketplace, which actually isnt going that bad.

Thanks for all the help & feedback!

Is this a new account your posting with or were your previous posts about this removed?

This is not the first time this video has been linked here.

As was brought to your attention the last time the Tie Fighter is the copyrighted property of Disney.

Do you have written permission to from Disney to be using it?

"The Disney Services are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees and all trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress and other intellectual property rights in the Disney Services are owned by us or our licensors or licensees.  Except as we specifically agree in writing, no element of the Disney Services may be used or exploited in any way other than as part of the Disney Services offered to you."

http://disneytermsofuse.com/english/

If you don't have written permission any one gettting involved with you would be complicit in CopyRight theft as well as in violation of the Second Life Terms of Service.

Additionally, if your teacher is allowing you to use illegal content for your class work then whatever school they are working at should send them packing.  That is just 100% contrary to any and all educational ethics.

You were asked last time so we will ask again, "Do you have written permission from Disney to use their work and are you prepared to show us that permission?"

Hi there,

well i wasnt aware it was ever posted here but its possible as we are 5 students working on it.

the name of the product is BugFighter and it doesnt have any connection to the Tie Fighter, it looks familiar thats it....

Tons of people make and sell fighters, planes, cars you really think they all get Boeing, Ford, Ferrari or whatnots permission to use the likelihood?

I understand this is a workaround, but like i said we are students we dont want to make a business we are doing it for educational purposes only!

Now can someone please answer the question?

tsur1 wrote:

Hi there,

well i wasnt aware it was ever posted here but its possible as we are 5 students working on it.

the name of the product is BugFighter and it doesnt have any connection to the Tie Fighter, it looks familiar thats it....

Tons of people make and sell fighters, planes, cars you really think they all get Boeing, Ford, Ferrari or whatnots permission to use the likelihood?

I understand this is a workaround, but like i said we are students we dont want to make a business we are doing it for educational purposes only!

Now can someone please answer the question?

Just because you see people do things does not make them legal.

Now while copyright laws vary by country, when you signed up for Second Life you agreed to be bound by the laws here when using Second Life.  That is in the Terms of Service.

So I'd suggest you take the time to read the Terms and learn a little bit about trademarks, copyright, derivative works, etc, etc.

I'm not an attorney but I'm pretty sure should Disney find that here they would file a DMCA against you.  It happens a lot with Disney owned properties here.

If you want to do this, create your own original work.  Not one so obviously based on Disney's work.

Ok, i see well this workshop is gonna be over in 3 weeks and the product will be discontinued anyway...

So i guess Disney wont bother with sueing me.

Thanks for the help very much appreciated

/sarcasm off

tsur1 wrote:

Ok, i see well this workshop is gonna be over in 3 weeks and the product will be discontinued anyway...

So i guess Disney wont bother with sueing me.

Thanks for the help very much appreciated

/sarcasm off

You really don't seem to get it.  It really can come back to bite you on your ass. 

And if you don't think there have been people who have spent thousands of dollars on DMCA violations in Second Life I've got a little secret for you.  It can and does happen. 

Any one suppporting you in this endeavor is supporting you in encroachment of some one else's property rights, and being a student does not give you any special privileges here.

/sarcasm off

Being a student is even a larger reason to avoid copyright

If you end up named for copyright in any form it can ruin your career forever. It really is best to avoid it in any form. Does your prof know you're using copyrighted material?

MIstahMoose wrote:

Being a student is even a larger reason to avoid copyright

If you end up named for copyright in any form it can ruin your career forever. It really is best to avoid it in any form. Does your prof know you're using copyrighted material?

They don't seem to get it MistahMoose. 

They just think we are being some kind of butt hole here trying to ruin all their fun.

They seem to be unable to understand that some of us here may actually know what we are talking about.

Even if it never hits the legal system, students here can find themselves on probation or even suspension for copyright infringemnet.

ETA, it's no better at the least than when a student gets caught plaigerizing written material for a paper.

IvanBenjammin wrote:

Maybe the objective of the course is to teach that copyright infringment is bad, mmkay?

If so, then you get extra credit for picking Disney as the company to infringe upon.

I hadn't thought of that.

So their passing grade is dependent on whether the product get's taken down.

I've never reported a product like this.

Maybe we should help them with the assignment.   ;)

Its either that, or the teacher is clueless about the concept of copyright as well. If selling the product wasn't the goal, nobody would care - I know I made plenty of infringing stuff in the process of learning 3D (possibly even a TIE fighter...), but I never tried to sell it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.