Advice on selling .dae files

Nina Jashan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to sell simple affordable .dae files mainly to help creators who are starting out learning mesh, and to give them an opportunity to change it to suit their needs and upload it in their own name like with sculpt maps. I think there is a market for this. But I deviate, back to my question - I know that there are file hosting sites that require a password, but couldn't that password then be used by anyone who gets hold of it? I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about this. Would I have to change the password whenever something sells. I don't know how it works.

Make youtube tutorials. That will help people to learn more than selling .daes

Selling files is a place more for Turbosquid

Then again theres already a huge flood of stolen goods, so what would stop people from taking your models and tossing them up on turbosquid and as a template on the MP

OK, so in other words you don't know. Thanks for responding anyway.

But as for your last sentence, I think I am capable of weighing up that risk myself. It really isn't too much different from selling a sculpt map. As for turbosquid, good luck to them. And my purpose wasn't to teach people.

now move along

The folks that I see doing this on the Marketplace generally seem to email the file to the person buying after payment. Most SL residents have avatar emails so that would presumably be the easiet method.

Then you know that they the files are at least ORIGINALLY going to the person that purchased them.

I don't know the answer, but it's a good question and not just for .dae files but all so for .raw, .psd, .oar

It's been a long time since I got a file from a SL merchant but normally it was by email or thought a website they owned, where you payed inworld and got a pass word to use on the web site to down load.  I think you would need a vendor inworld or a rezable object to be delivered from the market place that when rezzed would generate the pass word and then IM it to the customer and forward it to the web site. 

Hello Nina

i have zero experience in selling dae files, so i can only give you my experience as a customer.

i have sometimes bought some dae files, and they have always been thru a nc with a link to download and a password.

ive seen indeed, a few saying they will send by email, but there is a looot of scam actually on the mp and im not going to add to my usual stress, the stress implied by waiting to see if i will really recieve an email from this merchant or not.

of course, nothing can prevent from a scam and i can also be scammed by a merchant saying ill have the link to download the files in a nc. But in that case i'll know right away. While, we know sometimes an answer from a merchant can take some days/weeks and the waiting before i can know its a scam or not, is something that maybe some wont want, at least me.

I think it depend the price, and if the challenge worth it. The one ive saw saying they send the files by emails were really expensive items, and im not ok for challenging so many money without being sure.

But anyway, i think that even sending by email wont prevent you from your dae being copied and given away bec the person recieving the mail can also transfer the email to whoever they want.

Yes but it doesn't matter.

If someone is going to share the model after buying, does it matter if they do that by sending the password rather than emailing the model or uploading the model to the same file sharing site and giving out the link and password to their version of it? 

I'm not sure if this would work for you but would it be possible for you to do a unique temporary password of some kind to where you host the file?

During the 9th Anniversary celebration we had to rent temporary hosting for a music stream for our exhibit.  We were issued a password that expired once our 'lease' was up. 

Anaiya Ahren wrote:

Yes but it doesn't matter.

If someone is going to share the model after buying, does it matter if they do that by sending the password rather than emailing the model or uploading the model to the same file sharing site and giving out the link and password to their version of it? 

This is true. People will share it anyway if they choose to. I'm going to use a file hosting site with a link on a notecard. The models will be basic and inexpensive so it won't matter so much.

Thanks everyone :)

You may want to visit Machinamatix.org and talk to Gaia Clary. Gaia sells keys to Avastar. THey are a download key. With that magic number you can download the software. As amny times as you want and updates as they arrive.

Anyone could give their magic number away and let friends download the software. But, the system tracks downloads. If your key is being used by various people with different IP addresses, it voids your key and down access is blocked.

I could still give away my copy of the plug-in. But, in general I want to support Gaia and specificallyn her work on Avastar. So, I do NOT want to damage her sales. I think the majority of her customers have similar thinking. But, you will need to ask Gaia how it is working for her.

I am thinking of selling some Blender files with things to aid those making fitted mesh. I am looking at doing something similar via a WordPress plus-in. I can script the in-world purchase point to do what I want. But, I have yet to figure out how to link the Market Place in an automated process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.