New in SL - First Post - Friends ^ ^

CashNoise777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CashNoise777 wrote:

Hey everyone, so today is my 4th day in SL, love it! I got into the creating aspect right away which lead to learning graphic design
:)
Once I get this down I would like to begin creating a very fun complete island of my own full of activities, just for fun. Also will be Dj'ing soon as I love music, and love making it. I have to say, I havn't gotten the friendliest welcome from other land creators and DJ's in SL being so new and jumping into things so quickly.. Just trying to network and meet some nice new people
:)
Anyone is free to IM me: Andre Derain

Welcome to Second Life :) I owe SL my income (really) I was on sickness benefits in 2003. SL opened up a hobby turned income. Of course, I was lucky to be one of the first with very little competition back in 2004.

Its a very tough place to sell on now due to better quality competitors in an over saturated market.

That said, if you're here just for hobby and fun.. you will have a ball!  I envy you! :) 

Like real life meeting and making friends has risks. For existing members the new people are often a challenge. While a significant number of us are willing to help new people learn SL, it can become tedious for us. Then there are the griefers and strange people...

There are people that either are not good at helping or have burned out on the help thing. Teaching people to build can be particularly frustrating. Fortunately LOTS of tutorials have been made. I suppose to some extend we expect people to find those and watch them THEN ask questions. Some people find being asked basic questions about the basics of building annoying. Its like, "Didn't you Google that?' The SL Wiki has references and links to numerous tutorials and links to in-world training and tutorials. And I have a number of tutorials up too: http://blog.nalates.net/the-stuff/tutorials-index-clothes/

Many of us also automatically reject 'friendship' offers until we know the person. In general we ask if a person wants to be friends before requesting friending.

Out shopping and exploring is very much like shopping in a RL store. Few people say 'Hi' and attempt to start a conversation in RL and the same is true in SL.

It is in the user groups and in-world groups where I mostly meet and get to know people. In-world groups are collections of people with similar interests. So, you'll have common ground with those people. I also meet more casual friends and aquaintances in clubs and at events. I have a number of friends that came to SL from other games.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.