Courtesy?

Ellfie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A rant I guess, is it just me experiencing this I wonder?

I am losing count of the times Ive been spending time with a friend, dancing and chatting, when they quite obviously become 'busy' elsewhere and with no warning or excuse, Im just left stood or dancing with an av who is clearly somewhere else in spirit for long periods of time.  Its not just one either, most all do it, Am i really expecting too much to at least be told 'Sorry, one moment' ?  Im starting to get a complex its happened so many times lol

Don't take it to heart. It happens to all of us and I'm guilty of stepping away for a minute thinking I'll be fast enough nobody will notice. If I know I'll be away a bit longer though, I'll let my friends know, especially when dancing. I can't count the times friends disappear in chats and some just log off, but I try not to take it personally.

:smileyhappy:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

You're picking the wrong friends, Ellfie.

Good ones would never, ever, ever walk away in the mid

Awww c'mon, there's other stuff to get done, like the ironing.  A laptop on the end of the ironing board is ok but SL plays second fiddle when it comes to a tricky garment.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Awww c'mon, there's other stuff to get done, like the ironing.  A laptop on the end of the ironing board is ok but SL plays second fiddle when it comes to a tricky garment.

There's nothing more important than

Sassy Romano wrote:

There's nothing more important t
h
a
n

When my brother's speaking with people/friends/family on the phone, he always gets the last word/sentence in by saying ...

.... "oh... just one more thing ...   "

(and then as the person on the other end of the phone has pricked up their ears to pay attention, he hangs up!)

.... 'cept when I does it first :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Ellfie wrote:

A rant I guess, is it just me experiencing this I wonder?

I am losing count of the times Ive been spending time with a friend, dancing and chatting, when they quite obviously become 'busy' elsewhere and with no warning or excuse, Im just left stood or dancing with an av who is clearly somewhere else in spirit for long periods of time.  Its not just one either, most all do it, Am i really expecting too much to at least be told 'Sorry, one moment' ?  Im starting to get a complex its happened so many times lol

A nice rant, and if its your first time here, then welcome to the Forums!

They are the ones that do it in real life too; they ask you out for lunch and then spend half the time speaking to someone else on their mobile phone. It seems to be the way of the modern world *sighs*.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

h
a
n

When my brother's speaking with people/friends/family on the phone, he always gets the last word/sentence in by saying ...

(and then as the person on the other end of the phone has pricked up their ears to pay attention, he hangs up!)

When I'm in world IMing with someone, I sometimes say something like "Here, take the end of this lamp chain." They take it. "Okay, give it a pull". The moment they respond, I log out.

One of my friends is now a step ahead of me. When she senses that it's the end of my evening, she "pushes the red button" and I have no choice but to immediately log out.

I love those silly games.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

h
a
n

When I'm in world IMing with someone, I sometimes say something like "Here, take the end of this lamp chain." They take it. "Okay, give it a pull". The moment they respond, I log out.

One of my friends is now a step ahead of me. When she senses that it's the end of my evening, she "pushes the red button" and I have no choice but to immediately log out.

I love those silly games.

It sure beats "Pull my finger" in real life.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Were we ever to meet in RL, and you gently reached out and touched the tip of my nose, I would beep. I have done this, regardless of circumstance, since I was a child. I've a few friends who know this, and wait for the most inopportune moment to test me, always with the hope that the embarassment will be too great and I'll stay quiet. But good grief, what's more embarassing than reaching out to touch someone's nose? My beep is not only reflexive, it's an expression of the heartfelt joy of watching a dear friend do something completely silly.

My ex-husband sometimes touched my nose during the heat of the moment. I never faked a beep.

we may expect the continuity of interactions to be focused on just us and the person we are with, but we have to consider other factors that may be happenning with that other person, for example, that person may be managing 20 to 50 IMs at the same time, looking for something in their inventory, trying to have the camera in a good angle to take a picture, talking about something important with the moderators of the sim, making a good windlight setting to fit the atmosphere better or scrolling thru the windlight settings trying to remember that one that will fit the best, their kids in rl may need attention, the cat jump on the table and is eating the food, they go to the phone to recieve a phone call, the operating system freezes at times..

there may be thousands of factors that could break the continuity of the interaction, i recommend to be patient and understanding to those persons, because you may never know with how many things that person is struggling with.

Marigold Devin wrote:

They are the ones that do it in real life too; they ask you out for lunch and then spend half the time speaking to someone else on their mobile phone. It seems to be the way of the modern world *sighs*.

The solution to this type is simple.

Phone them up  from across the table.

Just for reference, I hate that in RL but in SL, my partner and I just understand that we each have regular incoming customer contact to deal with as well as RL things that go on so being afk or unresponsive is something that we accept may happen.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

The solution to this type is simple.

Phone them up  from across the table.

Just for reference, I hate that in RL but in SL, my partner and I just understand that we each have regular incoming customer contact to deal with as well as RL things that go on so being afk or unresponsive is something that we accept may happen.

The solution to that type has been far simpler. I've cut the invisible collar and chain leash and walked away, and had my lunch in peace elsewhere. A butty and a book in a park is far preferable than all this hustle and bustle of mock-busy (or real busy-but-too-important-to-have-a-meal-break) people.

Nothing and no one is that important it can't wait for half an hour.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Were we ever to meet in RL, and you gently reached out and touched the tip of my nose, I would beep. I have done this, regardless of circumstance, since I was a child. I've a few friends who know this, and wait for the most inopportune moment to test me, always with the hope that the embarassment will be too great and I'll stay quiet. But good grief, what's more embarassing than reaching out to touch someone's nose? My beep is not only reflexive, it's an expression of the heartfelt joy of watching a dear friend do something completely silly.

My ex-husband sometimes touched my nose during the heat of the moment. I never faked a beep.

One day I shall go and stand in the greetings area of a busy airport and watch carefully. I am sure it will be very obvious to see who among them have 'met' initially in Second Life. There will be a lot of spontaneous dancing, playing of typing animation when speaking (which I do often anyways) and possibly the pulling around on the invisible leash. 

what's more embarrassing than reaching out to touch someone's nose?

Hmmm that could be a whole new Friday thread starter :)

Canoro Philipp wrote:

we may expect the continuity of interactions to be focused on just us and the person we are with, but we have to consider other factors that may be happenning with that other person, for example, that person may be managing 20 to 50 IMs at the same time, looking for something in their inventory, trying to have the camera in a good angle to take a picture, talking about something important with the moderators of the sim, making a good windlight setting to fit the atmosphere better or scrolling thru the windlight settings trying to remember that one that will fit the best, their kids in rl may need attention, the cat jump on the table and is eating the food, they go to the phone to recieve a phone call, the operating system freezes at times..

there may be thousands of factors that could break the continuity of the interaction, i recommend to be patient and understanding to those persons, because you may never know with how many things that person is struggling with.

All these people 'multi-tasking' - and doing not one thing with full focus.

Fair enough about the kids or cat in RL needing attention; real life should always come first, but a courteous "just a minute" would not kill a person.  Why are people different on the phone than in real life? Although perhaps they're not in this hurry hurry world.

Why is everyone rushing all the time? To get to where? To nowhere. We're all heading out the same door. Let's stop and smell the coffee and fully appreciate those Intan dance balls.

Off to exercise some patience for a while now - alone!

You sum it up perfectly Marigold, I too get interruptions from phone etc when with someone in SL, but I cant see why, barring a dire emergency, you cant just say 'Sorry brb', maybe I am being picky but I will try and not take it too personally and just accept they have very  poor manners lol

Ellfie wrote:

You sum it up perfectly Marigold, I too get interruptions from phone etc when with someone in SL, but I cant see why, barring a dire emergency, you cant just say 'Sorry brb', maybe I am being picky but I will try and not take it too personally and just accept they have very  poor manners lol

Too right :matte-motes-big-grin:  They'll be like that with everyone they interact with anywhere on the internet (and real life where they can get away with it).

Its good to have a rant though sometimes, and here's the place to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.