What's Your Favorite Continent?

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's your favorite mainland continent? I would think Hetorcera Atoll would be the favorite of many. It has several points of interest:

1. The SL Railroad;
  2. The Great Wall; and
  3. Highest Mainland Peak; 
The main drawback of Hetorcera is that beach land has an unpleasant yellow color. 

I've been to Sims that never close down.

From New York, to Rio, to Old London Town.

But no matter how far, or how wide I rooooooaaaaam,

I still call Jeojeot hooooooooooooooooooome!

I'm always travelling, I love being free...etc....

Another vote for the Atoll.  Yeah, the lower elevation terrain textures are funky (I think they're supposed to be evocative of a coral reef), but it's really a masterpiece of coherent continent design, where the terrain features span the whole landmass in a sensible way.  That's not so important, I guess, if one is standing still on a sim and looking around, but it makes all the difference to long trips on the rail and road networks: it's more compelling when hills and valleys and plains and shoreline unfold realistically as you move through them.

That also lends more of a "sense of place" to each parcel on the Atoll because it's all part of this very large-scale context.  That's true of the continents in general, of course, but the Atoll's design does the best job, IMHO, of making a great variety of geography relate as a structured whole. 

On that particular aspect of continent design, I think Sansara is the least successful.  There are hunks of land hanging off Sansara in no particular relation to any of the rest of the continent.

Zindra is an interesting case, too.  Leaving aside serious problems with some of the infrastructure there, the terrain design is pretty successful, even though the mandate must have been to generate a great deal of variety in a very constrained space, to have acceptable places for the forced migrants to take up residence. 

One interesting feature of Zindra shoreline is that there's relatively few water-only parcels for artificial land builds to sprout-up on -- and, indeed, a lot of waterfront that ends just shy of the water's edge, keeping the water itself clear and navigable by all.  It's a bit frustrating for landowners, but the result is a much cleaner, more appealing overall environment.  On other continents there's a tendency for enormous yachts to spring up everywhere there's a trickle of unprotected water.

I too love the Hetorcera Atoll. I own a small plot on both Sansara in the snowlands and on the Atoll. While I LOVE my snowy plot (the view is to die for ) I agree that the Atoll makes sense as a coherent land mass. I have been exploring the various roads in and around the Atoll by horseback and it's been most interesting seeing the landscape and builds.  Sansara is very disjointed and as far as I know you can't travel it by road.

Heterocera Atoll rocks!

Sure we have dried grass and coral shores, but...

We have the roads!  We have the rails!

We have the views along the west coast!

We have TMA in Nessus!

We have great places to explore in the northmost point including the Silver King Grill in Ranunculus

Don't forget The Starship Diner in Hydrangea (I stock a full food replicator)

The Tudor Village to the southwest in Lebeda

Tenera, former home of the mentors

Hobo Village and the railyards of neat train builds are in Calleta

Start your ride north in Pyri to travel up that highest point on Mainland

I can live with the dried grass in my altitude. We have serious homesteaders giving the continent character

Randall Ahren wrote:

The main drawback of Hetorcera is that beach land has an unpleasant yellow color. 

You mean that toxic mix of blue and yellow?   It's terrible!  I love it!  Did you know that it changes color throughout the day?   It does.  Sometimes it's a chalky washed-out non-color, then the blue takes over, and then yellow creeps in, then it starts over.  

Randall Ahren wrote:

What do you recommend visiting in Sansara? The Great Second Life Railway I know about and that is certainly worth a visit. What else do you suggest?

The rails of course.  The color sims for their historic significance. Snow Mountain.  The many roads and waterways.  

The aesthetic beauty.  Very populated, you never know who is going to drop in.  

I was told that if I dig a hole on my parcel straight down I will reach China.

Several votes for Heterocera and a couple for Sansara. What about the SL equivalent of Atlantis, which would be the Blake Sea? Really lovely beaches around the islands, the water is usually a beautiful blue color, and great sailing. The main drawback with sailing is that the view doesn't vary as much compared to overland travel, at least if you're going by rail or road.

I owned a parcel on Nautilus once and it was close to the open waters and had a lovely views.  Some spots are a bit pricey (as is the case with all SL property), but, if you are watchful and patient you can find something where you can kick off your worries and go sailing or jetski.

I was rezzed a Sansaran, and I suspect I'll derez as a Sansaran. From my first days in Ahern, to my temporary infohub home in Sami, two years or so in South Islandia, and my current home in the Suburbs above Nova Albion and Bay City, it's home.

It's got the the Forest of Kahruvel, standing over the Bay of Space Pigs. It's got the deep, deep history of the San Francisco and Color regions. it's got the pristine beauty of the peaks in the snowlands, and the lava cone of Mount G'al. 

And the tri cities area... ahh. Nothing like sitting at my place in Miramare and enjoying the feel of the area, or Bay City's beautiful canals. It's got a little of everything I love.

And yes, my second runner-up is the Heterocera Atoll. I love that rocky coral, and remember it from a couple of my early favorite destinations in Achemon and Digiuda. It felt like a private island, even though mainland.  It does have better roads, by and large, than Sansara, as well as more rail and that wonderful bridal path -- plus Magellan's discoveries in Iris.

Not to say there isn't beauty to be found on the others -- but those are my faves.

I used to live at the edge of Darban region in West side ot the Grid. Most people will call it Linden Homes. I recently became the citizen of Corsica and now living in Blainroe Island. Blainroe is still pretty empty except on the coastal side. However since I live right on a waterland, I could sail as far as the eyes can see and as long as my laptop allows me. I'm quite surprised as being the most northern side of the continents, there are no snowy peaks nearby.

The other not so famous continent is Jeogeot or Bodem. It's pretty sad to see with good road network this place is not well populated like the rest. I bought a 512sqm in the middle of nowhere last week and created a mini garden. Sometimes all you need is to beautify the place with nature to make the whole place appears more interesting.

Anyway... my favourtie continent is still Corsica just because it is my home in SL.

• 2 years later...

My preferences should be like this:

1- Heterocera

2-Sansara

3-Caledon (private).

Heterocera and old Sansara are the most populated continents and most interesting mainland continents. Some parts of Gaeta 1 & 5, Jeogeot, Nautilus and Santori are almost compleatly abandoned and lack any interests.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.