Thinking of buying (newbie alert!) - please advise me

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Edit to add: After some more help from Sassy who answered everything below for me (thank you) I took the plunge and am now a land owner, albiet only a little bit of land at the moment. I've annotated my post in case anyone else wonders what the answers were.

After a few weeks, I'm enjoying life in SL, so I might take the plunge and pay for a year's premium membership, so that I can get some land to put a small home on. I can't afford much more than that though, certainly not at the moment. That's why I'm thinking of going premium and using my 512 mainland allotment, rather than spending the money renting. I get a bit of land and most of my money back. Seems a no-brainer for a limited outlay start.

Any comments, help or suggestions are most welcome. I made a mistake (despite trying my hardest) buying a house in RL, so I don't want to mess it up here too, lol.

So, I'm thinking: Form a group with a friend (who's not a premium member) and donate my 512 tier to our group so that I can have up to 560sq.m. of land without having to pay anything over my premium membership. Have I got that bit correct? Yep - that is right. Made a group and bought 560m.

Then I have to buy some mainland... hoping that someone doesn't decide to build a spaceship manufacturing plant or giant cupcake house next door to me. (in RL, the supposedly greenbelt land next to my house got 'reallocated' by the council and sold to a 'developer' who's a friend of the counciller. Woodland felled, hillside excaveted, instant nasty prefab housing estate.Grrr. House value halved.)

Anyway...

I've found just a couple of suitably sized mainland plots in the land search.

First question: How can I tell before purchase, definitively, if I can terraform a little? In one I'm looking at, in the Place Profile under the For Sale entry it has Terrform Limits: Off. It also has, under Parcel, Build: Off. Surely I should be able to build on it if I buy it, so I'm not sure if what is said in the Place Profile is just what I can do now, as a none-owner of it. So, how do I tell for sure? All I want is to dig a small pond in the corner and move an existing wall and path.

Secondly, skyboxes. I've just learned what these are. Can I raise one of my own over my land? I could stick the house up there, and use the 'land' as a garden. (If I could do all that with 128 capacity (does that mean 128 prims? and does that include my clothes that I'm wearing?) Doesn't include clothing - good.

What is 'Parcel Land Impact' of 19? There was some stuff (the walls below) already on the land that I can get rid of.

Am I correct that when I buy mainland, off anyone, once it's mine I'm only under LL's general rules and covenents? Or, are there extra rules still imposed by someone else somewhere?

The main parcel that I'm considering appears to have been designed a little already, with a wall running through it and the parcel ends half-way through a wide stone pathway. Nice, but could I move the wall to the edge of my property and basically do anything I want with my bit? the pathway takes a good quarter of the size on one side!

Thanks for any help!

V.

>>> First question: How can I tell before purchase, definitively, if I can terraform a little? In one I'm looking at, in the Place Profile under the For Sale entry it has Terrform Limits: Off. It also has, under Parcel, Build: Off. Surely I should be able to build on it if I buy it, so I'm not sure if what is said in the Place Profile is just what I can do now, as a none-owner of it. So, how do I tell for sure? All I want is to dig a small pond in the corner and move an existing wall and path. <<<

I am not sure what you mean with the "for sale entry". Once you own a parcel you can set its properties in the About Land box. In the top bar of your viewer, approximately in the middle, you can see the name of the region, the parcel rating and name. Cick on the writing to open the About Land box, then click on the Options tab. There you set the parcel properties where you can enable or restrict building rights per individual or your group, set terraforming rights, flying rights, etc.

>>> Secondly, skyboxes. I've just learned what these are. Can I raise one of my own over my land? I could stick the house up there, and use the 'land' as a garden. (If I could do all that with 128 capacity <<<

Yes, you can. I really recommend that you place your skybox at least at 300 meters of altitude to avoid polluting the view. Unfortunately many people don't pay attention to that or simply don't care and skyboxes end up being a source of visual blight on Mainland. Also, take into account that 512 sqm is really small, there isn't much space to build.

>>> What is 'Parcel Land Impact' of 19? There was some stuff (the walls below) already on the land that I can get rid of. <<<

As you've found yourself, that is the number of prims used on the parcel out of the max capacity the parcel allows.

>>> Am I correct that when I buy mainland, off anyone, once it's mine I'm only under LL's general rules and covenents? Or, are there extra rules still imposed by someone else somewhere? <<<

That is correct. Technically, on Mainland LL is the only owner of the land, so you are actually leasing the land. But, in practice the difference is blurred and you are the owner, so other than respecting LL's general rules, covenant (usually there isn't any) and land rating you can use the land as you wish.

>>> The main parcel that I'm considering appears to have been designed a little already, with a wall running through it and the parcel ends half-way through a wide stone pathway. Nice, but could I move the wall to the edge of my property and basically do anything I want with my bit? the pathway takes a good quarter of the size on one side! <<<

You can do anything you want once you own the land. You can also remove the wall, if you wish. Take into account that the owner of the land can sell with or without existing objects. If he/she sells without including existing objects those will be returned to the owner of the objects when you buy the land.

Have fun with your parcel... and careful, once you get the land bug it's hard to stop. I ended up buying 5 regions... :)

Thanks Indigo. I've already got a house on the plot now... just experimenting, won't be staying.

I know what you mean about air pollution - I've seen that all over the place. Quck way to spoil the look of an area. I guess theey are a bit like my next door neighbours here in RL :smileymad:

512 (I actually have 560) is small; I reasiled that. It's actually about the size of my house plot in RL so that's a good guide for me to work on.

Can't wait to play with my plot over the weekend. I have some good 3D software (used to do the occasional pro architectural design) so I might put my designer's hat on one day and learn to make stuff for SL. Always wanted to build my own mansion (well, more like hut on 560sqm, lol).

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.