Seem to have an issue with nearby land VIDEO media autoplaying in MY parcel.

Redwood Ash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seems the guy behind me has a really awful youtube video playing nonstop directly to the north of my land. About 20mts from my edge.  Took me a while to figure out what the noise was and I keep turning it OFF.

Problem is it just starts up the next time I log in, because I set media playing to auto. Kind of like the music in different regions to play while I explore.

I have NO video media streaming on my land in the first place so I find this odd to say the least and all I get is the sound like people on a basketball court.

Most annoying.

Even stranger is the fact I HAVE music streams for my parcel, yet I HAVE to switch THAT on every time I log in...

Any and all help would be appreciated...

Redwood Ash (NO Trolls please I am sick of the taste)

Yeah thanks I did see the screen in a hut down there and managed to copy the website link. Stupid thing is overriding me even with that webpage blocked... will have another look in case I missed something.

Some woman and a man wrestling non-stop in a loop. SCARY

(Some third-party viewers are able to block media URLs, stemming from a notorious SL alt-identifying scam that an ex-con was running for a while. Google "RedZone Second Life" if you have a few hours with absolutely nothing to do. If that's the kind of "block" meant here, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work -- and it might be worth investigating if it doesn't.)

• 2 weeks later...

At this point if you do not wish to turn off auto play media your options are limited to :

Contact the parcel owner ( Or if you are renting, your Rental Managers...if you do not wish to speak to your neighbor ) and make them aware the video is playing in a loop / autoplaying. ( They may be unaware. I have had many a renter unaware that their media on a prim/ media system is auto looping as they keep their media options to tap to play) and ask that they fix the situation as it is distracting.

Contact the parcel owner and ask that they go into their land settings > Sound:

• Sound: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel - Enabling this means an avatar needs to be on this parcel to hear gesture and object sounds originating from within it.

I hope these options offer some solution to your current noisy neighbor issues.

• 1 year later...

So far there hasn't been a resolution that I'm aware of for keeping prim media sound confined to the source parcel but in preferences, under sound and media, you can set the 'Media source volume rolloff distance' so that you won't hear sources beyond that distance.  It allows you to specify a distance at which the source starts getting quiter and a distance at which the sound disappears.

Evidently, this option is only present in the Firestorm viewer preferences now but the rolloff distance can be set in viewer 2 under the advanced tab, debug settings, audiolevelrolloff.

Lexy Darkstone wrote:

Contact the parcel owner and ask that they go into their land settings > Sound
:

• Sound: Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel
    - Enabling this means an avatar needs to be on this parcel to hear gesture and object sounds originating from within it.

Unfortunately that doesn't affect media-on-a-prim at all.

Hyman Kaplan wrote:

So far there hasn't been a resolution that I'm aware of for keeping prim media sound confined to the source parcel...

Seems LL doesn't see any point in such a feature. I filed a JIRA about it a while ago when they were updating the media player (https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-10636) but they weren't interested.

Hyman Kaplan wrote:

So far there hasn't been a resolution that I'm aware of for keeping prim media sound confined to the source parcel but in preferences, under sound and media, you can set the 'Media source volume rolloff distance' so that you won't hear sources beyond that distance.

Even better: just switch the whole nuisance off in preferences. Uncheck the "Enable" box by the Media volume slider, turn that slider down to zero and to be absolutely safe, also uncheck the "Enable Media to auto-play" box. You may still get those annoying pop-up navbar thingies if you accidentally mouse over the player but apart from that, you should be safe.

I just re-tested using the audio rolloff settings for media on a prim and find they work for me.  I'm using Firestorm with the following preference settings:  Sound & Media, Media, Media source volume rolloff distance: Starts getting quieter at 50 meters, Completely disappears at 75 meters.

When I move to a position beyond 75 meters away from the prim media source I can no longer hear it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.