Mapping Sansara Continent

Icarus Fallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sansara-A3-copy.gif

Hi, folks! I'm creating a map of the contiguous Sansara continent and need some help with region names. I've divided the draft above based laregly on the different tranches of land released by Linden Labs over time.

I've tried to use pre-existing names where I could find them, and to think of suitable names where they don't seem to exist.

I'd like some help with names for the south-eastern tranches named after North American lakes, as well as the two bodies of water there.

If you know of any names for these regions (or can think of something suitable), please let me know :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Icarus:  What a wonderful idea!  I love maps and I live on Sansara.  Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the names that you seek.  You might try contacting Torley Linden.  If he cannot help you directly, he may be able to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!

I love maps too. Good luck with the project :) Will be happy to see it when finished.

I think you should maybe include the old name of "sea of fables" which is "lost lakes". Yes it is clearly a lake and not a sea. I guess the person who came up with the new name didnt pay attention in school :P

Edit: Now when i look closer i see you already have "lost lakes" there. But that area only have couple rivers. Hmm, now i dont know what to say. Maybe someone else have better knowledge/opinion about these areas. All i know that many places on the shores of the lake that is now called sea of fables, still have names made to match the old lost lakes name.

@ Icarus

Superb map. The names seem historically accurate. One suggestion, though, is not to overuse the word 'Lakes'. Last Lakes, Further Lakes, More Lakes, L-Shaped Lake etc. You might, for example, wish to call L-shaped lakes Golden Gate (the stretch of water under the Golden Gate Bridge) because it passes the north coast of San Francisco - or not give it any name at all. I like your color scheme. Good work!

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ Icarus

Superb map. The names seem historically accurate. One suggestion, though, is not to overuse the word 'Lakes'. Last Lakes, Further Lakes, More Lakes, L-Shaped Lake etc. You might, for example, wish to call L-shaped lakes Golden Gate (the stretch of water under the Golden Gate Bridge) because it passes the north coast of San Francisco - or not give it any name at all. I like your color scheme. Good work!

"L-shaped lake" is what it is called. Many  names were suggested for it at LDPW office hours, but none of them seemed to stick.

Icarus Fallen wrote:

Sansara-A3-copy.gif

Hi, folks! I'm creating a map of the contiguous Sansara continent and need some help with region names. I've divided the draft above based laregly on the different tranches of land released by Linden Labs over time.

I've tried to use pre-existing names where I could find them, and to think of suitable names where they don't seem to exist.

I'd like some help with names for the south-eastern tranches named after North American lakes, as well as the two bodies of water there.

If you know of any names for these regions (or can think of something suitable), please let me know
:)

Beautiful work! Couple bug fixes for you:

1. Its South Island and North Islandia, not Islandia North and Islandia South.
  2. "Shermerville" is collectively known as "the suburbs," as Blumfield and West Haven actually came to the grid sometime before the Shermerville land mapp. The latter also was once 9 sims, as opposed to the two it is today.
  3. It looks like you might have a typo in Volcano Island. Is that an "r" before the "I"?
  4. the "Elements" regions includes the mass known as the "Rental Sims"
  5. Linden Village also goes into the Hidden Lakes area. Ambleside/Grasmere/Pooleyand a couple others up there are part of Linden Village - in fact, were parts some time before the others.
  6. The single region below Nova Albion and the San Francisco sims is "Nexus Prime."
  7. The single region above is the "Darkwood"
  8. Luna Palisades is a part of Bay City Eastside (which is initially known merely as Bay City), as it was added with the rest of the initial Bay City landmass.
  9. Owens Beach-Blue Channel is considered part of the Westside, as it was added when it was.

I suggest renaming the San Fransisco sims to the original sims, since that's a more apt description.  Also, I'm considering starting a project in the style and spirit of OpenStreetMap using the same toolchain they use, in an effort to more effectively map the entire mainland and beyond as residents care to contribute.  Stay posted.

Marianne McCann wrote:

"Shermerville" is collectively known as "the suburbs," as Blumfield and West Haven actually came to the grid sometime before the Shermerville land mapp. The latter also was once 9 sims, as opposed to the two it is today. 

The ground truth (ie, what local signage on the ground say) is that the whole area up north of the north end of the Highway 50 Bridge is Shermerville.

Marianne McCann wrote:

1. Luna Palisades is a part of Bay City Eastside (which is initially known merely as Bay City), as it was added with the rest of the initial Bay City landmass.

Luna Palisades is part of Nova Albion and was added at the time the rest of that city was added, IIRC...the Nova Albion Streetcar goes directly to it.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Beautiful work! Couple bug fixes for you:

1. Its South Island and North Islandia, not Islandia North and Islandia South.
  2. "Shermerville" is collectively known as "the suburbs," as Blumfield and West Haven actually came to the grid sometime before the Shermerville land mapp. The latter also was once 9 sims, as opposed to the two it is today.
  3. It looks like you might have a typo in Volcano Island. Is that an "r" before the "I"?
  4. the "Elements" regions includes the mass known as the "Rental Sims"
  5. Linden Village also goes into the Hidden Lakes area. Ambleside/Grasmere/Pooleyand a couple others up there are part of Linden Village - in fact, were parts some time before the others.
  6. The single region below Nova Albion and the San Francisco sims is "Nexus Prime."
  7. The single region above is the "Darkwood"
  8. Luna Palisades is a part of Bay City Eastside (which is initially known merely as Bay City), as it was added with the rest of the initial Bay City landmass.
  9. Owens Beach-Blue Channel is considered part of the Westside, as it was added when it was.

I'll rename the Islandias.

It appeared to me in Bino Arbuckle's timeline maps that all of what I've called Shermerville came into existence at the same time ... I think it makes sense to group it together too :)

There's something on the map in Volcano Island which looks like an r - I'll have to move the label :P

I didn't get down to check out the "elements" sims, I just named the region from their theme ... if it's rental sims I could rename it.

I'll check out the Linden Village that extends into Hidden Lakes. The boundary I have now is the way Hidden Lakes was when it was released, but if the village extends into it I might redraw the boundary if it makes more sense.

Nexus Prime, Darkwood: I wasn't sure about naming an individual sim ... this map is more about multi-sim regions. More to think about. Also, is the Darkwood all Darkwood anymore?

I know that Luna Palisades and Owens beach were added with tranches of Bay City, but as the majority of the land in those sims is attached to other regions, I thought it made more sense to redraw the boundaries.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

1. Luna Palisades is a part of Bay City Eastside (which is initially known merely as Bay City), as it was added with the rest of the initial Bay City landmass.

Luna Palisades is part of Nova Albion and was added at the time the rest of that city was added, IIRC...the Nova Albion Streetcar goes directly to it.

You are thinking of Luna (where the Luna Oaks Galleria is, and which predates Nova Albion (it was one of two sims - Luna and Coney - that  made up the LindenWorld amusement park that the causeway out of Dore connected to). I was referring to Luna Palisades, which is south of South Channel, west of Luna, and east of New Port. Luna Palisades was indeed added with Bay City. 

Icarus Fallen wrote:

It appeared to me in Bino Arbuckle's timeline maps that all of what I've called Shermerville came into existence at the same time ... I think it makes sense to group it together too
:)

There's something on the map in Volcano Island which looks like an r - I'll have to move the label
:P

I didn't get down to check out the "elements" sims, I just named the region from their theme ... if it's rental sims I could rename it.

I'll check out the Linden Village that extends into Hidden Lakes. The boundary I have now is the way Hidden Lakes was when it was released, but if the village extends into it I might redraw the boundary if it makes more sense.

Nexus Prime, Darkwood: I wasn't sure about naming an individual sim ... this map is more about multi-sim regions. More to think about. Also, is the Darkwood all Darkwood anymore?

I know that Luna Palisades and Owens beach were added with tranches of Bay City, but as the majority of the land in those sims is attached to other regions, I thought it made more sense to redraw the boundaries.

Originally, Blumfield and West Haven were standalones, and were next door to the Games 1 region (which is no longer around). Later, the nine regions of Shermerville, based directly on the layout of Blumfield and West Haven, were brought online. They proved to be less than popular, and were eventually contracted to two: Shermerville Central and Shermerville NW.

FWIW, here's a shot of Shermerville when it was all nine regions. Talk about "Little Boxes!"

For me personally? I live in Shermerville, and also tend to call the area just "Shermerville. but the older Blumfeldians and West Havenites get touchy about that. ;-)

The six (did I say 4 before? Oops) rental regions are Ruthenium, Rhodium, Palladium, Osmium, Iridium , and Platnium. Curious that there's the other three "elemental ones" that aren't rental space.

As far as I know, DarkWood is all still DarkWood. That said, I don't think there's a stitch of life up there anymore -- so who knows? 

As to the Bay City boundaries, I know the Nova Albion folks and Bay Citizens are fairly keen on the boundaries. :-)

Icarus Fallen wrote:

@Baloo: I checked and all the sims I've grouped as San Francisco have corresponding streets in SF ... well I couldn't find Immaculate but I just went for it
:P

...and given those have been known as the "San Francisco Sims" since the early days, it seems right by me

Bay City and Bay City West - the original minicontinent will always be just Bay City.  The two are separated by non-Bay City Linden channel regions.

Confused about San Francisco. This includes regions like Welsh, Clementina & Hawthorne

Grasmere, Campus and other regions are part of Linden Village but you've categorized them as Hidden Lakes.

We sometimes call them Shermerville for convenience but the community refers to itself as The Suburbs. Only two of their regions and the strait to the south include Shermerville in their names.  And yeah we call it the Shermerville Bridge, but that's not an official name.

To the West of Sandboxes are two weapon testing sandboxes, those could be included.

The Oldest Regions could have a section, Old World,

Is Linden Memorial Park included in Sansara?

I have a problem with The Bay of Space Pigs mainly because I purchased land adjacent to it. How about calling it something else? It's the only lake I know of that has the SL Logo on it.

What is a space pig? Is it like a spider pig?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.