Mainland Griefing - Please change land settings.

Kate McLaglen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Currently many mainland sims are under a grief attack.  If you own mainland, please shut off building for the general public.  This not only can bother you , but your neighbors will also suffer.

If only we could get LL to NOT have the land set to public build for abandonded property....Snapshot _ StoraxTree - Rug Factory, Makalu (126, 201, 235) - M.jpg

Right, for newly abandoned land after a few days. There are probably still some parcels with the old settings for abandoned land (lacking auto-return and maybe even allowing public build), and LL will fix them with a support ticket. And I think freshly abandoned land spends a few days in a kind of limbo where objects on it are not returned, just in case the previous owner will decide they didn't really want to abandon the land after all. (The logic there has changed over time, so I'm not 100% sure of its current behaviour.)

But yeah, I do think it gets set to no-build immediately, which won't stop all attacks, but is better than nothing.

(Just in passing: This last griefer attack was vaguely useful in that it revealed beyond any doubt that the cluster of avatars at the Bitcoin scammer's parcel in Miramare are in fact bots, as they always seemed.)

attack.jpg

Qie Niangao wrote:

Right, for newly abandoned land after a few days. There are probably still some parcels with the old settings for abandoned land (lacking auto-return and maybe even allowing public build), and LL will fix them with a support ticket. And I
think
freshly abandoned land spends a few days in a kind of limbo where objects on it are not returned, just in case the previous owner will decide they didn't really want to abandon the land after all. (The logic there has changed over time, so I'm not 100% sure of its current behaviour.)

But yeah, I do think it gets set to no-build immediately, which won't stop all attacks, but is better than nothing.

(Just in passing: This last griefer attack was vaguely useful in that it revealed beyond any doubt that the cluster of avatars at the Bitcoin scammer's parcel in Miramare are in fact bots, as they always seemed.)

The last update to the Knowledge Base says 7 days for auto return to be enabled.  I have looked a little for something official on object entry and creation but haven't found.  It must have been stated in a User Group meeting but my memory too was that happenned as soon as the land was abandonned.

The owned parcel (it's not abandonned land) the source prims (there are two) are on is set no build but object entry enabled, auto return is set to 1440 minutes.  Looks like they got a hold of a PRIM originally created by the real HJ to do their dirty work.  They must have slid them over from a parcel with build enabled but I was lagging too much to find it.

You don't necessarily need to turn off the public building Kate. People that want to leave building on can, as long as they don't leave Auto Return set to 0 (Auto Return disabled). I have water parcel on Nautilus and with the sailing in the area sometimes people lose their boats. I leave my parcel perms to allow everything but have Auto Return set to 5 minutes. That gives someone plenty of time to re-rez their boat and continue on their sail. My friends can keep their items from being Auto Returned as long as they rez under the parcel group name. The problem with many parcel owners is they don't understand how to set their parcel perms for their needs. Some over react and turn everything off or even worse put up banlines (along roads and waterways), which is just as bad as Anne Marie's scourge mobiles as far as I'm concerned. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.