Is it legal to build a bridge over a Linden Road?

Rocky Rutabaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a sim with a Linden road cutting through it on one corner. My land is on either side of the road.   Is it legal/illegal to span the road with a bridge or walkway between two buildings? I'd make sure the bridge was high enough that a car/truck wouldn't get clipped. And obviously, no prims are actually sitting on the road. 

Wouldn't the situation be similar to those off-sim islands that people place that appear to be in a Linden sea or void?

Thanks in advance.

RR

Back when I had land on two sides of a road, I couldn't find an official ruling on this. I put in a zebra crossing. It wasn't unusual for people to walk down the side of the road so they could cross at the crossing, so generally people liked it.

You're probably not supposed to push prims onto the road space... but in reality, things like road crossings and bridges don't seem to get a bad reaction, as long as any non-phantom bits are sufficiently away from the road edge and provide enough head height. If you're worried about the bridge, go for a road crossing instead, as that can be phantom.

The worst that'll happen, if the Lindens decide it's not okay, is they'll return it to you and tell you not to do it again.

Lindens are tollerant about it but you should take into account that your bridge may be returned at any time. Also, are you sure that you won't block the way to some very tall vehicle? You never know what may run on the SL roads. What if the next Giant Snails race runs on that road? I would go with the zebra crossing suggestion. Or, you could build a swing bridge. That's what we did at the East River Community for one of the rivers that crosses the community.

I'd go for either a swing bridge _or_ a bridge that stays phantom until someone actually steps on it. And yes people place "offsim" items into LL waterways, BUT: If it blocks a channel (i.e. is physical and blocks one of the 16m wide channels) I'll send a nice NC to the owner and an AR if it's still there a few weeks later, which generally gets things returned.

I have some buoys on our land that extend across an LL waterway and never had an issue. They only mark the channel though.

I've seen a few people do this, and where it hasn't been ugly, I haven't seen it returned.

I would make sure it's phantom if it's not a high bridge, and I would make sure you keep a copy ready to re-rez just in case it gets returned.

If you do see it get returned by a Linden, I'd contact the Linden who returned it before re-rezzing to see if they had a particular concern.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.