How to get encroachment-return enabled for Mainland?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's been a year now since this feature first went live for Estates.  

The place where it has always been most needed, however, is the Mainland, but it still hasn't been enabled there.

Enabling the feature on the Mainland would resolve a longstanding jira issue along with a few other, related ones.

The feature is documented in the wiki.  (Note that "estate content" can be exempt from parcel return, so Mole and Linden builds should be safe. Also, I understand that the feature now works for encroachment across sim borders, which wasn't yet true when the wiki article was written.)

At the server user group, residents have repeatedly asked for a timeline, but a response hasn't been available.  Andrew is the developer but isn't responsible for deciding when and where the feature is enabled.  He's also very busy on a myriad of things.  I can't really guess how much attention this has gotten from the decision-maker(s).

So I'm looking for advice about what to do to push this along, or at least get some view into plans for enabling the feature. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never particularly aspired to Rodvik's friends list, so I doubt I'm on it -- but I kind of hope that this sort of decision doesn't have to be made by the CEO. And I'd really not want to create, uh, "organizational discomfort" for anybody intermediate on that management chain. I'd just like to nudge this toward action, or at least get some reading on why it's not happening and when (or if) it will.

I'll post something on that linden.lab feed and see what happens.

It certainly would be a nice feature to have. My suspicion is that it's not enabled because it would certainly return a lot of landscaping content if used blindly. Many trees and a lot of sculpt builds near parcel borders don't visibly cross borders when their bounding box actually does.

Mind, I am not sure what the encroachment code does look at - vertices or bounding boxes. Logically I'd expect physics shape on anything non-phantom and vertices.

This has to be worth their while, as it'll cut down on ARs a great deal. Most of the times I've had issues with neighbours, it's been encroachment. It's not like we need someone to handle it most of the time, as it's a case of wanting the object gone rather than needing any action against the person.

• 1 month later...

I t would be wonderful if they would turn that feature on in mainland. Especially right now! - We are suffering a grief attack that apparently is pretty wide spread on the main land in which huge sculpted prims size 256x256x256 are being deployed on abandoned land. These prims are specifically crafted to cause browsers to overload and crash. A number of us have written in and complained but as we head to day 2. It is clear the feature should have just been turned on on the main land. Ridiculous.

It's not going to arrive soon enough to address your current attack, but there seems to be some progress toward getting this enabled, finally.  I got in too late for the actual announcement at the server user group yesterday and there doesn't seem to be a transcript posted for that one yet, but Andrew was saying that he was going to test a script that enabled the feature, and then there'd probably be an announcement somewhere about it being enabled.  So I'm encouraged that it's still pending, and possibly imminent.

Oooh!  Now that the transcript is posted, this looks better than I'd imagined:

[12:06] Andrew Linden: First bit of news is that the land people got back to me and said everything is "Go" to enable return of encroaching objects on the mainland.

[12:06] Andrew Linden: So that ball in in my court.

[12:06] Andrew Linden: I've got to write a script that will set it to "ON" for each mainland region.

[12:06] Andrew Linden: I've done some research on how to actually do it, but have yet to write that little script.

[12:07] Andrew Linden: I'm hoping to get it done this week, but when it goes live is not yet set.

[12:12] Jonathan Yap: Will there be some announcement about mainland encroachment or will people discover it on their own?

[12:13] Andrew Linden: Jonathan, I'll probalby make sure that I can enable it. And once I'm sure my script works I'll tell our support team and give us an opportunity to make a blog announcement.

• 2 years later...

GingerHenderson wrote:

I know this is quite old but could not find any info from Linden Lab that they finished implementing this for all their mainlands. Not sure if by 'mainland' that it was for the Protected lands they own?

If there is a link to this answer would be appreciated.

The answer to your question was in the Link to the Wiki you provided in your other Thread:

"As of 15 March 2012, this feature has been enabled on all Linden Owned mainland regions."

All Linden Owned mainland includes protected parcels. 

I'm wondering if you are misunderstanding this function.

It does not stop encroachment.

It is simply a tool for removing encroaching items.

Unfortunately there is nothing that stops encroachment.

The problem in your other Thread is enforcement, waiting for LL to respond to Abuse Reports.  Sometimes for some things they can be very, very slow about it.

GingerHenderson wrote:

So this tool is not automatic return if it detects them?

No. That would be disastrous for all kinds of reasons. Most of my neighbors and I encroach slightly on each other's land, and on Linden protected land, to blend builds together more naturally, and of course that would be impossible if all encroaching objects were automatically zapped -- or, worse, it might discourage landowners from enabling auto-return at all.

Also, the determination of encroachment is an exercise of the physics engine, and I suspect sims would be in perpetual lag if that were performed every time anything moves.

GingerHenderson wrote:

Thanks again Perrie. So this is working but the Parcel owners must do the returning if I understand?

So this tool is not automatic return if it detects them?

As Qie mentioned, no it's not automatic. 

And there are some practices the Lindens consider acceptable.

For example, if my property bordered a Linden Road and I wanted a driveway to attach to the road I have to encroach on Linden property.

Likewise, you could own parcels separated by a Linden Road so being able to build across them so long as you don't block the road can be useful.

Some people to abuse the ability to encroach but there is probably also a lot of encroachment you never notice because it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of the Mainland and actually could enhance it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.