Buying Land From Auction For A Group

QuiverSyndrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need to know Im right on this one before going ahead.

Me and my partner have found some mainland in auction that we really want.  It costs more than we wanted to spend but we can subdivide and abandon some of it, bringing the tier down (please advise if this is correct).

So now for the tricky part, I dont want to get stung by buying the land as an individual.  because the land is over the tier, we need to buy for group, which will have 1x premium user donating 512sqm plus the 10% group free land.

the land we are looking at is 9500sqm ($75 per month) but if I add up from the next  tier down: 8192sqm ($40 per month) + 512sqm (Donated from premium) = 8704sqm + 10% = 9574sqm (8192+512*1.1=9574.4) this would be great for 9500 land correct?

I just want to make sure my arithmatic is correct and need to know how to be sure I dont get charged the $75 per month, I know if you buy land as an individual and THEN donate it to group you get all sorts of issues paying twice etc. so I am looking to avoid them.

They make people who are serious about this really pay through the nose!  If it was cheaper then more people would pay up, giving them more money. I have decided not to bid on the auction because of that.  meaning my money doesnt leave the bank.. now they have to rely on making double from someone else to make up for it, really doesnt make sense that people pay up!

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

They make people who are serious about this really pay through the nose!  If it was cheaper then more people would pay up, giving them more money. I have decided not to bid on the auction because of that.  meaning my money doesnt leave the bank.. now they have to rely on making double from someone else to make up for it, really doesnt make sense that people pay up!

I really don't know the whole story about this.  But at one time LL changed the way the system worked because people found a way to game it to get out of paying tier.

I agree though, it would be great if you could buy for group at Auction.

Well, I don't really think it is that expensive to buy or to hold land...but I think the current levels for land-fees are impolitic.

If everybody only had to pay per owned (monthly peaked usage of) sqms  instead of these huge fee-level-jumps, I am sure more people here would buy more land. Myself included :)

• 1 year later...

QuiverSyndrome wrote:

So I would be forced to pay $75 for first month for owning land as an individual for 20 seconds. that sounds like the kind of mentality I expect from LL.  Not sure I would ever do that lol

This is a bit late, but I am replying for other people who will have this issue in the future, because I recently ran into this same issue. I wanted to bid on an auction for land for my group, but if I did my tier would have raised up over the $40 for the month to $75. That's crappy, sure, but you need consider the cost of direct land purchases from residents. If the average price for the size and location of the land you are interested in is, say, $L14,000 or $L50,000, that comes out to about $50 USD or $201 USD. Buying at auction you figure in the short term tier increase into the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the land.

You figure the tier increase to $75 for the minute before you can contribute it to your group. So, if your normal tier would be $40 for that group owned land, you deduct $35 ($L8680) from the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the land.

Say, there is an auction for 8192m that I want. I am willing to pay up to $L24,845 ($100 USD) for that land. Buying the land will pop my tier up to $75 because I own other land or contributions. That's $35 USD ($L8680) of the maximum I am willing to pay for the land over my normal tier. That leaves me with $65 USD ($L16,165) that I can bid and not go over my maximum. I bid and win the auction for my max price and pay the $35 increased tier. In the end I paid $100 for the land I wanted. I then donate the land to my group and tier down.

I agree that it is a crappy system that punishes people who already pay tier and support SL. I would pay $65 plus the tier increase for land that someone who didn't own land could outbid me on in an auction because he doesn't have that increased tier to deduct. He could buy the property for $70 while I could not go over $65 because of that tier increase of $35. I lose out, but Linden Lab also loses up to $30 on the sale. It is a highly flawed system.

Today I found a nice 8192m protected waterfront with Linden sea that I would love to have, but it's price is $L60,200 ($242 USD). I can't afford to buy it at that price from the seller, so chances are I would not be able to buy it at auction for my $65/$35/$100 maximum either. Life is not always fair. ;)

I hope my math is right here, but don't hold me to it.

Regards,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.