TV/Media players are blocking youtube videos

Diawa Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

98% outta the videos i try to play give me a 

Were are Sorry.

The selected video can not be played in the media viewer ,

due to copyright or region restrictions.

(150)

these are videos that i been playing for years.. i understand that some over time will be removed or what not.. but not 98% of them all at once... this happens everywhere i try and on differnt player/tv's...

Anyone know whats going on with that?

and yes my flashplayer and QT are up to date

From time to time the techno-wonks at YouTube (and other similar media hosting sites) change up their web pages and how the media is played. When that happens, most of the SL in-world media devices "break". This happens because they are expecting a certain format and content on the media sites; once it changes they get confused and cannot always find the proper format media to download and display.

I would recommend that you find the store or website for the creator of your media player and see what updates they are offering and what news they have posted. If they seem to be in the dark about the changes then you might take the opportunity to drop them a polite message asking if they have anything in the works to fix this latest "update" by the media hosting sites.

If history is any teacher, when major sites such as YouTube "break" their format and thus also break a fair number of SL media players, the creators of those devices are almost instantly buried in customer support requests that range from "umm .. is everything okay?" to ".. and all your offspring shall rot in the fires of ..." levels of emotion. I'd recommend you start with the polite and curious attitude .. for optimal response. 8^D

Not sure what caused the breakage but I can confirm it - at least on Damani TV's.

Most Youtube videos spit out the error message you gave and playing the same Youtube video within the viewers internal web browser or using parcel media or media on a prim still works perfectly.

Because the same videos will play in the internal browser & using media on a prim, it doesn't appear to be a webkit problem. So it's up to the TV creators to fix it I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've run into this problem off and on with a video player I scripted myself.  At first it worked fine using url's in a playlist of the following form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4,

but when that stopped working a year ago or so, I did a lot of searching and found that something had changed at youtube and now the player needed to be specified as  embedded as in the following...

This form is working today, but it still seems to be kind of spotty...working some days and some days not working.   I'm using shared media in my viewer.

I'd be interested in hearing from others regarding the causes of the erratic behavior.

• 1 month later...

Since a few days I can't play you tube movies on my NHC - [ TSQ311 V3 ] mediaplayer anymore...

actually since the latest flash update appeared.. 

In the past you could download a special flash plugin for chrome and IE explorer, but that option has gone.

Can it have anything to do with the recent Google Chrome policy to not support the NPAPI plugin anymore?

Or at least is planning to skip that feature. I checked it over and over again but no youtube display inworld.

• 2 months later...

Came here for exactly the same as Cornel John. Media on a prim can't play Youtube anymore, and neiter does my Damani media player. 

Does anybody know of a player that DOES work after Youtube changed the way it works? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.