You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Apuh DeVinna

New iMac keeps crashing more and more when running sl.

I am new proud owner of a very sexy iMac and very happy with it.

First thing i did was instal second life and emerald viewer and i bragged about the great expierience i had in sl with my iMac.

However, after a few weeks, sl became slow, took ages to res, and i walked around the grid half the time with no hair or as cloud.

Things got worse and now i cant even stay in sl for few minutes without crashing, comp totally freezes and i have to hit the powerbuttom  to close my comp down.

I have the idea sl builds somewere in my comp a huge cage wich makes sl slower, i deleted sl-viewer and installed it again, cleared sl-cage on harddrive, surfed the web for support, i tryed everything a wellbehaving n00b can think of.

I have learned on the web its a typical Mac/sl problem, but found no solutions yet.

Does anybody knows what is happening with my iMac while running sl and how to fix it, i hate i can run my sl the way i used to.Snapshot_007.jpg

TC Short

Re: New iMac keeps crashing more and more when running sl.

Reply to Apuh DeVinna - view message

You need to empty your cache. Emerald has a seperate cache from the official SL viewers.

Bored? Want to be more bored? Check out my blog Shorty's Ramblings

Recognized Resident
Apuh DeVinna

Thank you, i found the  seperated Emerald cage in the Finder.

On my pc i used Emerald too next to the classic sl-viewer and i seldom crashed and sl rezzed much quicker.

On my Mac avatars and objects stay grey now.

Blaze Nielsen

I've tried emerald on my imac and found its performance worse than the 1.23 version regular linden viewer.

Honored Resident
Timmy Blindside

Where are you finding the Emerald Cache at.....looked with no luck

thx

This story's missing a wishing well No mirror to show and tell No kiss that can break the spell I'm falling asleep
Honored Resident
Reven Rosca

Update your OS to the most current version. There was an OpenGL bug in an Mac OSX update in March (can't remember the version number right now) which led to frequent crashes and slow texture rendering. I'm running the latest Emerald Beta (1.3.2.2047), and it's as smooth as silk

Recognized Resident
Bobby Michigan

You should also clear your parameter random-access memory (PRAM).  I generally clear it about once a week or so, or anytime i am noticing SL, or any app for that matter, running a bit slowly.

Restart your computer, as as it restarts hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.  It's a bit of a funky hand position, but not impossible You will notice on the second restart the start-up tone will be much "fuller" sounding.. you have sucessfully cleared your PRAM.

Honored Resident
BadWolf Bracken

Very odd, I've a 2 year old Imac connected to the grid and its not crashed for ages and never using the official viewers.

if its doing a total lockup and your only recourse is a powerdown, I would ask, is it only SL thats causing the issue or are other apps behaving in a similar fashion?

Recognized Resident
Apuh DeVinna

You can find the Emerald cage on your mac in Finder: Users: Library: Cages

I clear it after every sessie now because i found out it build over 150mb per sl-sessie and by never cleaned it, it was HUGE!

You will have a slower start-up because of building inventory though.

Helper
Storm Clarence

I have seen this happen with many friends.  Their problem was solved by:

edit>preferences>graphics>HARDWARE OPTIONS> deselect ENABLE VBO