Honored Resident
ebutterfield

Are you dating a typist in SL or do you voice?

[ Edited ]

Lately many of my discussions with my SL associates have been abuot dating some who doesn't use voice.  Having the avatar in 3D is certainly a step above a screenname but now that there is voice capability why isn't it the standard with most folks for dating? 

So I'm on this date and my partner says they don't voice but would like for me to get naked and have sex with them.  I don't know about the majority of ya'll but I am not an octopus.  I need my hands for other things when im self pleeasuring with the aid of voice and avatar.  Or should i sit behind my keyboard fully dressed while my avatar is naked and performing the act of sex with my uninvolved?

And what about a date?  Its nice to be all hugged up on a pose while spending time with your partner but can we go out on a date sometimes?  I know many of the elaborate locations in SL are great to see if you can deal with the lag.  But I've recently opened my land for a dating experience for all to enjoy no to low lag and fun adventure or relaxation.  View the thread below for details:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Favorite-Destinations/A-Fun-Place-for-A-Date-Free/m-p/1258455#M22...

Chelsea Malibu

Re: Are you dating a typst in SL or do you voice?

[ Edited ]

Reply to ebutterfield - view message

I'm not shy so, I'll speak up. 

Voice to me takes away from what SL really is.  I can have fun in RL and talk but in SL, it is the romance of the written words.  The articulation of the prose and the image it creates in my head.  You just can't do this with voice and to be honest, this is where men lack the most.  Primal grunts and repetitive "oh, baby's" are no different than someone emoting constant "mmmmmm"s. 

I was never thrilled about voice coming into SL and am still not thrilled about it.  I almost never use it even under normal business circumstances.  When I did use voice for some time, I found many just sat around and talked..And talked..And talked and really about nothing more than just to here themselves talk.  Men love to hear themselves talk.  I'm too type "A" for idle talk.

Honored Resident
ebutterfield

Re: Are you dating a typist in SL or do you voice?

Reply to Chelsea Malibu - view message

I appreciate your perspective on the subject because I didn't consider that point of view.  I think I am targeting the aspect of sex and typing.  Of course I get that we read novels about sex and become aroused but it is not the same as "live" interaction.

Torley Linden
Blog Posts: 8

Ha, this question holds some beauty for me: at the time I met my to-be wife, I had a particularly bad bout of Repetitive Strain Injury in my hands. This was before we had inworld voice chat, so she asked me to get on Skype to be hands-free.

Who is a Torley and what does it do? I'm ultra-friendly so CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT!
Ceera Murakami
Topics: 9

Well, first of all, any "dating" my avatars do in SL is a fictional encounter between fictional avatars, and not an intimate interaction between myself and the other typist. Your post implies that anyone who is "dating" in SL is representing their avatar as a direct extension of themselves in real life. That may be the case for some people in SL, but the majority that I have ever known or heard of tend to use SL more to make characters that are NOT clones of themselves. 

My main avatar is a three tailed anthropomorphic vixen who speaks English with a slight French accent, but is also fluent in Japanese and several other languages. She's well over 700 years old, and immortal, but her in normal appearance you would guess her to be about 27 years of age.

I have another avatar that is a male Human, who speaks with a rather thick Scottish accent. He's in his late 30's in age appearance.

I have another avatar that is a female anthro Timberwolf about 25 years old, who has a sultry voice, and speaks with somewhat archaic turns of phrase, as she came from a medieval-level society.

I have yet another avatar who is a 14 year old male anthro fox, from a primitive, tribal society.

I am not the reincarnation of Mel Blanc. I can't do voice impressions for all those characters and make any of them sound the way I can say they sound when I communicate in text. I can't find voice morphing software that could make all of those characters sound even vaguely like they should. So Voice is worse than useless for me - it totally blows the believability of the character out of the water. Sort of like encountering a short-statured girl on a movie set, expecting a sweet, innocent voice, and hearing instead a deep male voice, because the actor is a male dwarf in drag who works as a stunt man for the child actress.

In text, I can write beautiful descriptive passages that set the scene and mood, describe scents and tastes and touch feelings, and cover for the actions that are impossible to portray with a pose ball or a spoken phrase in voice. How silly would it be, for example, for someone using Voice to state, "I reach out and carress your hair, feeling it's silky texture, and lean closer to enjoy the scent of your perfume"?

If someone is portraying their avatar as an attractive Lesbian cat girl, the last thing I want to hear is a man's voice coming from her. If someone is a handsome stud of a man, the last thing I want to hear is a girl's voice. For that matter, if they are portraying someone who is French, I don't want to hear some other nationality's accent in their real voice. I want to be able to accept the character as presented, just as I should be able to do when an actor presents a character in a play or movie. Who and what they are in real life doesn't matter to me.

Kylie Jaxxon

Reply to Torley Linden - view message

Torley Linden wrote:

Ha, this question holds some beauty for me: at the time I met my to-be wife, I had a particularly bad bout of Repetitive Strain Injury in my hands. This was before we had inworld voice chat, so she asked me to get on Skype to be hands-free.

ROFL....nice :smileyhappy:

NOTE: The Trace will be closed beginning 9/21 for a seasonal overhaul :smileyhappy:
Come visit The Trace...we change with the seasons :smileyhappy:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The%20Trace/19/83/21
Chelsea Malibu

[ Edited ]

BTW, good post, I see this one getting a few comments and you even got Torley to post. 

And, to agree with Torley, I too met my significant other online but it was not in a game and it quickly grew to phone calls.  So I guess in the end, for a real relationship, voice is an imperative but my expectations for SL are in the fantasy of this world.

Honored Resident
ebutterfield

Reply to Chelsea Malibu - view message

Initially I was all about the fantasy (can't believe I said initially like I've been here forever) but I migrated to SL from Paltalk and voice is a major player there.  Of course nothing beats live video but I am not limited in motion in SL and enjoy the game as a whole.

Honored Resident
ebutterfield

RikThistie you are such a button pusher.  Of course I've tried real life.  Gosh you slay me with your comments.

Helper
Storm Clarence

ebutterfield wrote:

Gosh you slay me with your comments.

Me too.