What are the land settings to allow visiting musicians to set up on my land?

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

If you're not going to spend the L$100 to create a group for the parcel and authorize selected group members to change the music, then your other option is to use a simple radio script that lets visitors enter a music stream URL.  Something as simple as this should work, as long as you own the parcel and the prim that you drop the script into:

integer gChan;integer gLsn;default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        llListenRemove(gLsn);        gChan = -1 * (integer)llFrand(10000000.0) - 2891;        gLsn = llListen(gChan,"",llDetectedKey(0),"");        llSetTimerEvent(30.0);        llTextBox(llDetectedKey(0)," \n Please enter your music stream URL and click \"Submit\"",gChan);    }    timer()    {        llListenRemove(gLsn);        llSetTimerEvent(0.0);    }    listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string msg)    {        llListenRemove(gLsn);        llSetTimerEvent(0.0);        llSetParcelMusicURL(msg);    }}

Mild warning:  This script is not guaranteed.  It's off the top of my head and not tested in world, but it ought to work.  :smileywink:

• Like 3

That's half the question answered. Thanks for that. I just want to know a bit more. How do I let visiting musicians move in the instruments, speakers and other "stuff onto my land without opening it to every stray Tom, Dick, and Harry to litter my property? If I have to start a group, so be it, What settings does the land need to have to keep some control over the free loaders too busy or dumb to find a sandbox? I'd prefer to do it without a group though. Had some losses from a Real Life group that folded and I could no longer get to the property to get my stuff.

There's nothing to fear in a group, especially if YOU own the group and you make your alt a co-owner. That way you have full control over who joins and what they are allowed to do. You then SET your parcel to the group (not deed it unless you want to) and use World >>> About Land >>> Options to restrict the parcel so that only group members may rez objects or bring objects (like vehicles) in and drop them. If you don't do that, there's no way to let some people rez things and prevent others from doing it.

just to reiterate Rolig's answer - You need to create a Land Group. A well managed Land Group solves all you problems and allows you to revoke permissions from a performer group member at anytime. Your VIPs do not need to be members. However you'll need some kind of system VIP object [like the subscribe-o-matic] to be able to contact your VIPs about events. Also, the earlier Radio URL change script placed in a prim will only work if you, the prim owner, are online and on your parcel. This is an old bug that was turned in to a feature sometime in the past.

Actually, that script should work even if you are not on line. The problem arises if you own the prim but not the parcel that it's on. If the parcel is group owned and you are not on line , THEN you have a problem. That's why you have to deed a parcel radio if you're on group owned land.

Ohh Thank you for that clarification Rolig. I remember having an issue with this early on in my scripting. Doesn't the script requestor end up being the authentication UUID when the land URL is changed? I understand when it is deeded to the Land Group why it works. I'm just not clear on how it can work when not deeded.

It works then because the owner of the scripted object and the owner of the land are the same. The script is simply acting in the owner's behalf, making the change in About Land that the owner would make. By using a script, the owner has made it possible for someone else to provide the information that the script uses. Now, in most cases the owner of a parcel radio will also want some way to whitelist potential users, rather than letting anyone walk in off the street and mess with the stream. I always build a permission system into systems I create for that reason. I didn't bother in this case because I merely wanted to show how easy the basic problem is without adding bells and whistles.

OK. I surrendered and set up a closed group for employees and performers at my saloon. One of the performers came by after joining the group. We tested her ability to rez her instruments, speakers, tip boards, and other stuff. Big time fail. She can't get her stuff on the group land. I gave Performers the ability to build on the land, gave access to group members, and allowed group members to bring stuff onto my land or to build from their inventory. what gives?

Did you SET the land to the group?

Open World >>> About Land >>> General and SET (not deed) the land to the group. Then they should be fine. If you DEED the land to the group, that will work too, but you'll have to deed that radio (the object with the script I gave you) to the group too. Of course, now that you have the group set up, if you gave your musicians the ability to set the music stream, you don't need my script any more. :)

Better hope this works, big fella, or like Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason) of the Honeymooners said often to Alice Kramden (Audrey Meadows),, "One of these days, Alice, to the moon." In response, Alice would maintain her deadpan expression, and answered, "Yeah, sure, Ralph." then went back to cooking supper or washing dishes. ROFL I just realized where I got my poisonality. ROFLMAO

holy cow! I'm sorry. The lady singer didn't show as a member when I started to panic. But I set the land to the group anyway. Now the duet reports successfully loading some of their "stuff". Looks like we're good to go. (I say 'looks like" in case this is a false positive.) But, you miss out on a free trip to the moon. ROFLMAO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.