Objects disappear when I change my region settings.

Syaoran Nyoki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I can't figure it out. I have a region that is open to visitors, however you can't build there unless you are in my group. I wanted to make the region Group Owned instead of individual owned. I used the About Land-> Objects dialog to make darn sure that all the objects on my island were assigned to my group. They were. Yesterday, I made it group owned and I turned on the auto-return feature and random objects started disappearing, large portions of buildings, etc. GULP! I got a region rollback today and I started to investigate why some objects and not others were returned. I cannot figure it out though. It looks legit. Created or Owned by an avie in my group and my group is assigned to the object. Anyone have any ideas about how I can identify what objects will disappear if I were to make this change again?

1 answer to this question

Oh, noooo!  The dreaded AutoReturn.  You take a great risk if you use autoreturn when you have already rezzed objects on your land.  Any objects that were not previously set to the group that the land is set or deeded to will automatically be returned to their owners.  Some no-copy items may be lost.  It's very hard to be sure that you found all of the tiny, transparent objects that are inside other things or are in the sky or underground, so it's almost inevitable that you'll return some things.  Also, if you have ever tried to reset group affinity on several objects at once, you may have already discovered that some of them don't stick.  Some small or transparent objects may not have even been selected.  Therefore, things that you know were set to your group may not have been.  The only way to be absolutely sure that everything is set properly before you turn on AutoReturn is to edit each object individually, one at a time. 

Personally, I gave up on AutoReturn years ago.  I simply set my land to allow only group members to rez things.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.