Land Questions

Alberto22294

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello Everyone!

I have been in SL for about 2 years now and I want to start owning land. While reading has given me much information I feel like its not enough. I have a premium membership which gives me the Linden Home that has 117 prims on a 512 m2 parcel. Since I can afford to update my tier and pay $8 a month for it. Then I have to let go of the linden home and find a land with 1024sq.meter (which is what the $8 give me) and the 512sq.meter for emmbership applies to it. Right? and the land can be owned by Linden labs or a Resident, whats my best option? Thank you!

1 answer to this question

I teach a class on land on Fridays, 5 pm SL time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend, and I hope I'll see you there!

In the meantime...

You seem to have a pretty good handle on this.  Here's the order in which I would do things.

1. Search for a nice parcel of land on the Mainland.  You can use both Search and the world map with "land for sale" checked in the legend to find parcels for sale.
  2. When you find one you like, go to your Linden Home.  Take up your objects, click World/Parcel Details, and Abandon your Linden Home.
  3. Go back to the land for sale.  Purchase it from the current owner (it may be Linden Lab, or it may be another resident.)  A lot of plain, ordinary Mainland is for sale for $L1 per m2 or even less, but waterfront parcels can cost a lot more, around $L10 per m2.  Some other parcels which are desirable in other ways may also be priced high.  Be sure you take note of the land's Maturity Rating.  It can't be changed.  Keep in mind that if the price seems too high to you, you're free to contact the owner (unless it's LL) and make an offer.  They may be willing to negotiate!
  4. If it is a 1024 sq m parcel, your tier will be $5 per month, not $8...because you get free tier on the first 512 square meters.  Or, you could purchase up to 1024+512 = 1536 m2, and pay $8 per month.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.