I want to run a boarding house on a rp sim.

toolips123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Yes.  First, you'll want to be sure that your landlord is going to let you do that.  I don't allow it on my estate, and Linden Lab doesn't allow it in Linden Homes, for example, but many landlords do.

Assuming that your landlord is OK with it, then, all you need is a clear agreement with your renters about how much they pay and what they get for their money (how many prims, what permissions, etc.).  It's just like any lease agreement you would use in RL if you were renting out space.  The big difference is that there are no laws in SL that you can use to enforce the lease, although ultimately you can just eject someone who doesn't pay or who breaks your rules.

Your renters can pay you directly, in which case you will simply keep a spreadsheet in Excel or whatever on your computer to keep track of the money (or just download the Transaction History from your dashboard at secondlife.com >>> Account periodically).  If you want to get fancier, you can use a simple vendor script in a prim on your doorstep and "sell" your tenants a rent receipt when they click it. 

The only thing you will not be able to do easily is keep track of how much of your prim allowance each renter is using.  Because they will all share the same parcel, it will be easy for one tenant to use more than his fair share of the prims.  You can use a scripted device to monitor their prim use, but you'll still end up having to be a full-time policeman, which may get tiring.

• Like 1

You can get rental boxes (there are several popular systems.  I use HippoRent, myself.)  Rez a rental box in each room.  You can edit them to change the size, shape, and texture of the box.  READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You will have to keep track of your boarders' prim usage.  There are a number of "prim counters" out there that can help with this, or you can just use About Land/Objects to keep track manually and let your tenants know when they exceed their allowed prims.

Be sure to check with the sim owner and make sure she is OK with you subletting in this fashion.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.