sound too big

SweetLadyMell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I try to incorporate a small piece of music in a prim, I have something, but, at 12Mb :matte-motes-agape: that'll be too big...

Two options: play MIDI (probably not possible) or let the prim play a tune from somewhere on the Internet...is that latter possible? If so, how do I go about that?

Thanks

Mell

xxx

What you will need to do is use a program, like Audacity(free), to split the music file up into pieces that are no longer than 10.0 seconds in length, using a 16 bit sample format at a sample rate of 44.1kHz and saved as a .wav file.  Those are the specifications for sound files that can be uploaded into Second Life.  

You will then need to write or obtain a player script that will load and play the pieces in sequence.

Here's a link to a freebie by Aley that has a full perm player script in it that demonstrates how to play lengthy sound clips in Second Life:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Captain-Nemos-Pipe-Organ-7-prims-v20/4248573

• Like 1

SL only supports wav format files and the sounds have to be no more than 10 seconds each, 16-bit, 44.1kHz, mono.

You will need to break the song up into segment that size and convert it to the format above if needed.  You then use a script to play them one after another.

Here is more info with a link to a sound editing software that is free.

• Like 1

SweetLadyMell wrote:

Hi all,

I try to incorporate a small piece of music in a prim, I have something, but, at 12Mb :matte-motes-agape: that'll be too big...

Two options: play MIDI (probably not possible) or let the prim play a tune from somewhere on the Internet...is that latter possible? If so, how do I go about that?

Thanks

Mell

xxx

As others have mentioned you can break your sound into tiny pieces (10 seconds or less each) you upload to the SL servers.  You can also let a prim play a tune from somewhere on the Internet. There are various ways to do this.  Here is one:

1. Create an  MP3 version of your sound.
  2. Upload that file to Dropbox.
  3. Obtain the URL to share that file.
  4. Change the 'www.dropbox' segment of the share URL to 'dl.dropbox' ("https://www.dropbox.com/......" becomes "https://dl.dropbox.com/......")
  5. Create a prim in-world. 
  6. Change one face of that prim to contain media. (Media On A Prim, MOAP)
  7. Paste your modified share URL to be home page of your MOAP.
  8. As desired set the Auto Loop and/or Auto Play options.

You should be good to go.  Not everyone will hear your sound.  That's because not everyone allows media to play or auto-play.  Of course not everyone would hear a prim playing sound segments with a script either.

I would be careful using Dropbox like this. There are bandwidth restrictions for its public folders. Last I heard, free Dropbox accounts may not use more than 10Gb of bandwidth per day. That sounds like a lot, but it can quickly add up.

Every time you encounter someone in SL who has their MOAP set, their viewer downloads the file to their cache, consuming a bit of your bandwidth quota for that day. The bigger the file, (like a full song for example) the more bandwidth is consumed for a single encounter. If you encounter enough people, you will exhaust your bandwidth and all of your files in the public folders will be unreachable.

Fenix Eldritch wrote:

I would be careful using Dropbox like this. There are bandwidth restrictions for its public folders. Last I heard, free Dropbox accounts may not use more than 10Gb of bandwidth per day. That sounds like a lot, but it can quickly add up.

Every time you encounter someone in SL who has their MOAP set, their viewer downloads the file to their cache, consuming a bit of your bandwidth quota for that day. The bigger the file, (like a full song for example) the more bandwidth is consumed for a single encounter. If you encounter enough people, you will exhaust your bandwidth and all of your files in the public folders will be unreachable.

I was answering the questions "... or let the prim play a tune from somewhere on the Internet...is that latter possible? If so, how do I go about that?"   Using Dropbox is a simple example that's free to try. 

Your comments are certainly valid considerations.   The OP would have to determine where it's best to play the tune from.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.