menu-driven worn attachment swapper?

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello all. does anyone know of a set of menu scripts similar to Multi-love pose, but instead of rezzing props, being able to make the avatar wear the specific objects(animated props) at specific attachment points and positioning to the avi?

For example, wanting the avi to swap out a worn hair brush in one hand to a mirror in another, etc. from a menu? The objects would already have animations built-in, I just need them to swap from a selectable menu, preferrably a hud.

Thank you.

Such a script can't exist, or at least not exactly as described, because there's no way for a script to rez an item directly as an attachment. The closest you could get, I think, is a script that rezzes items as free-standing which then attach to the avatar -- and the (fatal?) flaw with that is that it can only work on land that allows the wearer to rez items.

The second closest might be to have all the intended attachment points already filled with proto-items, and then have those items shape themselves into the desired objects. (This works for everything but Mesh, which was intentionally nerfed in design to slightly inconvenience IP theft.) The trivial version of this is to have all the items already attached and merely flip their visibility as desired, which has been common practice for simple, sometimes-sheathed weapons.

Another option might be to use RLV to control attachments directly from the avatar's own inventory, but that's only available to a subset of users.

I hesitate to disagree with both Qie and Freya, but I don't see what's wrong with using llAttachToAvatarTemp to achieve what you describe.  

At the moment, you would have to have the objects request permission to attach each time, which would probably make the methods Qie and Freya suggest preferable in practice, but when experience tools finally roll out for the whole grid,  that will cease to be a concern in most cases.

For completeness, there's also a method of making objects that belong to you rez and then attach without requesting permissions.   It takes some rather fiddly setting up, so I wouldn't recommend it for anything you're selling, but it's worth knowing about.    It's known as the Lulu Loophole, after Lulu Ludovico, who pioneered the method with her eponymous cuffs.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I hesitate to disagree with both Qie and Freya

Ah don't be silly, I live to learn. :) I mostly picked the method I knew most about - I've used the Lulu method before but it wouldn't work for clothing layers (likely not an issue for this). Mostly RLV just seems cleaner, allowing better feedback to the script and an experience for the user that is easy to debug and adjust once it's in place.

RLV would be my preference over Experience Tools and PERMISSION_ATTACH craziness - hence the suggestion and resources. I didn't supply alternatives 'cause I am self-righteous. But you're right, and llAttachToAvatarTemp has a bunch of potential!

I agree that RLV is, all things being equal, probably the most versatile and effective way of swapping attachments and clothing layers.   My only reservations are that it requires particular viewers to work and also requires some setting-up by the end user (the #RLV shared folders).     With most of the stuff my business partner and I make, that's not a problem since I can be reasonably sure that someone who wants to buy our toys uses RLV anyway,  and knows a bit about shared folders and the like,  but I'm less sure about it as a solution for items aimed at the general market.

I've scripted systems that use a combination of llAttachToAvatarTemp and sculpt-map switching, which works pretty well.     You get the permissions dialog once, and then the object switches visibility and form (newspaper, cup of tea, hairbrush, etc) depending on which animation option you choose from the furniture.     I've also been playing quite a bit with experience tools, and I think I'd recommend them for this kind of application, too.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with using
to achieve what you describe.  

It's partly a question of whence these to-be-attached objects are to be rezzed. I read the OP to want them to come from another attachment, perhaps a HUD, and that's only going to work if that thing has the ability to rez, which it would need to inherit from the wearer. Re-reading now, it instead may be that the intent is to have them rezzed by something else freestanding, such as a furniture item, and that would be somewhat more likely to have permission to rez on the land. In any case, my stated first choice -- "closest you could get" caveat that land permission -- was to rez objects that attempt to attach themselves, which they might do either with llAttachToAvatarTemp as you suggest, if they won't be owned by the intended wearer, or with plain old llAttachToAvatar otherwise.

It's quite correct to note that Experience Tools will be an option to obviate separately requesting agent Attach permission; that's an important development, anticipated Real Soon Now. (That is of course distinct from the need for the land permission to rez the scripted object itself, which is what preoccupied me.)

I've played with the exprience tools a fair amount now.  I think they'll be the preferred solution for applications like this once they are fully available.  llAttachToAvatarTemp is a fine function -- I've used it in a number of very complicated setups -- and I know that SLV lets you do all sorts of cool things.  Those methods have their limitations, though.  The user either has to do a lot of extra mouse clicks or have a TPV to make them work.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  To give a little more input...

I dont' believe sculpt-map switching would because the attachments not single-prim items, but multi-prim ones. 

Although RLV probably can do it, I know nothing of how it works and prefer not to require a customer to change their viewer just to make the items useable.

Making the objects visible/invisible would not work because the owner would have to be already wearing all the items, and the animations are built-in to animate on attach.  Unless there's another way around this?

llAttachToAvatarTemp and Experience Tools seem promising.  I need to study up on how it works.

The biggest problem I have is that I'm not a scripter.  I mostly build and use script clips for a lot of functionality. But I think this one would require some custom scripting.  That's why I was hoping to find a prescripted solution similar to multi-love pose where all i'd have to do is configure the notecards and build the items and animations.

I'm suprised someone hasn't already built a hud like this and be selling it like crazy to other builders. Looks like I'll be placing an ad in the help wanted - scripters section. lol

Thank you ALL for your help.  I greatly appreciate it!!!!!

Swapping sculpt maps doesn't restrict you to single prim items.    An experienced scripter will find it easy to swap maps on multiple prims at once, and to hide unused prims.

I don't see that switching the objects' visibiltiy would prevent your playing different animations.   I visualise it as a single multi-prim attachment that combines all the items in the one object.   The hud would then send it messages saying, in effect, "make the following child prims visible, hide all the rest, and play such-and-such an animation" each time you wanted to switch objects.    I can't see why that wouldn't work.

swapping sculpt maps may work the way you described it.  Will definatley look into it more.  But again, I'm not a scripter.  But should I decide to animate the prims as well, swapping maps wont do it.  I'd need to swap out the animated objects, and play the avi animation as well.  The objects would each have different animations, so in that case I dont think prim/map swapping would work.  But for non-animated prims, it definatleyl sounds like it would work.  thank you!

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "animating prims" in this context.     

Animating prims and animating avatars are two completely different processes.    When you animate avatars, you are, in fact, sending instructions to the computers of everyone who can see the avatars telling their graphics cards and cpus how to draw the avatar and anything attached to it.   As far as the simulator is concerned, the avatar remains completely static.

When you animate prims (as opposed to the avatar to whom a prim is attached) you are actually changing the prim's parameters, and you use exactly the same lsl function, llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, that you use to swap sculpt maps about.   

While I'm not completely sure what you have in mind, I don't see how playing different animations for the avatar would affect it.   Certainly it wouldn't stop you swapping sculpt maps if that's what you wanted to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if i'm confusing.  By "animated prims" i basically meant "animated attachments".  For an example, when the avatar wears an animated bird attachment, the bird is animated, and the avatar also animates to hold the bird on his hand to eye level.  Then the avatar wants to switch the attachment to a bunny.  The bunny is animated differently, and the avatar also animated to hold the bunny in his arms.  Because of the variations of attachments (number of prims, sculpt maps, textures, and built-in animations), i think trying to swap sculpt maps for this would be too difficult.

The attachments are animated, and also have "animate when worn" scripts to animated the avatar.

I'm looking for a menu-driven alternative of swapping out the attachments.

Hope this makes sense.

And thank you for your input! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.