llSetRegionPos and teleports

Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm disappointed.  I thought that llSetRegionPos was going to make it possible to create a new kind of intersim sit teleporter, as if I were able to use the old WarpPos or PosJump across sim boundaries, but I can't do it.  I can send an object up to 10m across a boundary, as advertized, and I can daisy-chain hops to make it go across a couple of sims that way.  If I sit on a prim and send it on the same route, though, I have very poor results.  In one time out of ten, maybe, I make it to my destination -- usually with a significant delay.  The rest of the time I end up in limbo, floating in no-man's land and unable to do anything but log out and try again.  Innula made an offhand comment in a recent thread that leads me to believe that I am not the only one having trouble with this.  Has anyone made it work yet?  If so, how?

What, you mean like do things in practice instead of just spouting theory?  Hell no, it's hard enough getting a script to compile without testing the damn thing too.  I'm with LL - testing is what customers pay to do, they seem to enjoy it.  Anyway that sort of thing only leads to debugging and we all know how annoying THAT is.

[so, erm, yeah this vendor system that I'm writing that needs debit permission and everthing - honest, I am testing it Annie!]

Even inside a single sim, if its lagged at all,  I still find myself paused at 0,0,0 for a bit before moving to the desired destination.  So, though we are not testing the same thing, I would say I am a bit dissapointed in the results of this function as well.

I tried exactly the method of teleporting you describe, Rolig, and regretted it no end.    I've had better results with WarpPos for inter-sim teleports.

I've seen an intersim teleporter -- we've got one at the Adult Hub -- which works OK, but I am not quite sure how.   As I recall, it shoots you up to very high in the air (I suspect to keep you out of people's way)  a couple of metres into the next sim, and then waits for ages -- ten seconds or so -- before taking you to your destination.  It's almost quicker to walk.

I'm giving up on this, and waiting for llTeleportAgent to happen.   But if you want to see a working one, then there is one at the Adult Hub.

Thanks, Innula.  Your description of the one at the Adult Hub sounds like it's doing what mine does, except for popping you up in the air --- when it works.   I have been trying to step gingerly across into the next sim by 5m or so, and then move to my next destination.  On those rare occasions when it works, it pauses for a good ten seconds, as you describe.  That's hardly worth cheering for.  I guess I'll give it up as a bad game too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.