Honored Resident
Ashiri Sands
0 Kudos

Re: llRequestAgenData(uuid,DATA_ONLINE) changes resulting from Privacy Policy

Reply to WhiteStar Magic - view message

How much of the new policy is due to the following, or rather, to the lawyers running through worst-case scenarios. 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/02/23/fact-sheet-plan-protect-privacy-internet-age-a...

Honored Resident
Roberta Messerchmitt
0 Kudos

Reply to Ashiri Sands - view message

I doubt it has much to do with it except for maybe a general panic reaction to any government legislation involving the internet that could be warped into an unrecognizable monster by opposition cliques before it actually sees daylight as a law and bite the industry as a result.

Nothing about the function seems to be directly applicable to the legislation as it stands now, LL does not collect and save online data using it, especially not in a personally identifiable way.  While others could possibly use it to record avatars online hours it really is not very accurate in that role and it does not give any personal information about the person it is used on.  It is more like a cell phone, the towers know whether a person is in the network whether they choose to answer it or not, and it makes little difference whether the network tells the caller the other phone is not being answered or if it is not found on the network at the moment (which some of them do, or at least did).

The only way someone could use it for ferreting out RL data would be if they could somehow compare avatar online status with account login and logout times, and LL is not likely to give out account logs.  Even if someone could hack in and get them the delay of up to a half hour or so in the functions update would mean that tens of thousands of false positives would be generated by that method, rendering it unpractical if not completely useless.

In its role of increasing the chances that someone can receive an item or message without capping problems it is useful, as a precision tool for tracking online status for nefarious purposes like breaking personal security it is not.

Honored Resident
Molokai Sharkfin
0 Kudos

One thing I have a serious problem with is that this post will show in a google search if I search on my avatar name.  My avatar first name is a real life location and so just searching on that location will cause this post to show up in a real life search.   So the privacy issure takes on a whole new aspect.  I do not want my forum posts nor my jira to be in the real world public.  I have to log in to post to this forum and the jira but it can be found in a google search.  I fail to see the reason for the log in.  I think the cross polination between rl and sl is a serious one that needs to be fixed.  So it seems rediculous that I can't see the on line status of someone but can read their post if they posted here through a google search.   Am I speaking clear enough here that my issue is understood?

Darkie Minotaur
Topics: 8
Kudos: 154
Blog Posts: 0
0 Kudos

Reply to Molokai Sharkfin - view message

That can easily be helped: Don't write posts. :smileywink:

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

Reply to Darkie Minotaur - view message

Darkie Minotaur wrote:

That can easily be helped: Don't write posts. :smileywink:

And don't choose a name that includes information that is a dead giveaway to your RL identity.  (I know, it's a little late to think of that now .... :smileyhappy:  )

Not as dumb as I look
Honored Resident
Roberta Messerchmitt
0 Kudos

Login to post on a public forum is the normal thing, it helps keep spammers out.  Also one should not put things in them that one does not want everyone to see, since the point of public forums is to publicly discuss things.

Login to browse forums are usually very annoying to use since normal search does not work on them and their built in search is usually usless which makes finding something you need on it a long boreing process.