llRegionSay rate limits?

Gregory McLeod

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A throttle was placed on chat in the debug channel and on the PUBLIC_CHANNEL (channel 0) in 2012, in response to SVC-7504, where you will find that this comment summarized the end result:

"From a rough estimate, if an owner's total combined chat on channel 0 (their own and/or all objects in the same region) exceeds 200 chat events per any 2 second period of time the server will block any further chat and will not release until a whole minute has past without an increase in chat frequency occurring. This includes the owner's own chat as well. It doesn't matter if any objects or agents heard the chat or not. This affects llWhisper(), llSay(), llShout() and llRegionSayTo(). When blocked, agents and objects will not hear chat from the owner or their objects.

I say this is a good start. Definitely better than nothing at all thats for sure.

Still seems to be alot of factors to this. llRegionSayTo() seems to have its own accounting when targeting non-agents and won't cause the owner's own chat to be blocked if the server blocks chat."

As far as I can see, other channels were not affected by this change to the server code.

llRegionSay doesn't work for channel 0 and I never tested for the debug channel.

On other channels there is no throttle.

I made a test: last year: one prim sends 1000 messages, the other receives and counts.

1000 messages are sent in about 2 seconds and received with a rate of 15 per second - so it takes a bit until all 1000 got received. That means the sim obviously buffered all messages.

With 2000 messages sent in a row  - about 1500 made it through. That shows the buffer size for the message length I used for testing.

I made a test with 100 prims and 10 scripts each too, just for fun. No problems, no throttle. With 5000 triggered listening scripts the sims script processing gets into trouble btw. but recovers within a minute after removal. :D Oh and I can confirm that scripts don't affect the sim performance at all. Sim fps, avatars, physics, walking, flying are not affected.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.