hud to attach objects

dbldbl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can't use LSL to attach anything directly from inventory, if that's what you are hoping to do.  What you can do is rez an item from the HUD and then have it immediately request permission to attach, which will require you to click a permission dialog box.  I suppose you could even use llAttachToAvatarTemp as a way to let someone else attach the newly-rezzed object temporarily.

thank you.

yes, what i had in mind was to attach an object directly from inventory or from hud.

if i understand, you suggest to rezz, on the floor, a scripted object which demands to be attached on rezz.

why not? all i have to do is to make it invisible, until it's attached. I suppose i can do that.

but, is there a way to avoid the dialog box?

You can, with a bit of setting up, take advantage of the "Lulu Loophole" so the items you rez don't need to request PERMISSION_ATTACH each time you rez them.

However, the usual way to make objects seem to attach is to wear the attachment at all times, and simply use the hud to switch the item's visibilty (and size, if necessary).   This has the advantage that it works anywhere, not just on land where you can rez objects.    

The only way to attach objects direct from your inventory is to use the RLV api.    Then it's reasonably straightforward, but you do have to use a third party viewer and to have RLV turned on for it to work.

thank for this new answer. you two were very quick.

now, i have two questions about the answers to make the good choice. 

I use firestorm viewer.

1- how about lag if i wear attachments permanently to make them visible when needed?

2- how about security with RLV enabled?

thx to anybody who could help.

I would say that the lag involved in wearing the attachments all the time and switching them between visible and invisible is going to be minimal, or at least that caused by the scripting is.   All you need is one script in each attachment, listening for a command to call llSetLinkAlpha for the whole linkset.   Choose a long negative number as the channel, to minimise the chances of several objects using the same channel,  and the pressure on region resources is minimal.

Security shouldn't be an issue with RLV.   Your viewer will only accept commands from items that you own, so if you don't wear an RLV relay, it shouldn't be an issue.    You would need to be careful about accepting and rezzing items from complete strangers, I guess, but that's something I'd worry about anyway.

Put it like this.   I've been using RLV for 5 or 6 years now, and never had any uninvited mishaps with it.

Sorry, I am a bit late for the show. The upcoming experience tools will give creators a way to attach items: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/Seeking-Creators-for-the-Experience-Keys-Beta/ba-p/2764864

It is still possible to approach LL for access to the beta stage. Do use these tools very carefully, I think that you get serious problems with LL if used for anything that could be considered griefing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.