Why would I lose all of my script changes that I made to scripts in a HUD?

Life Camino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can only guess that the servers were misbehaving.  That shouldn't happen.  I have had wierder things happen, though, and just as frustrating.  Some scripters do all of their scripting outside of SL using an external editor to avoid those sorts of issues (and because most external editors have much more helpful error messages than the standard editor built into the viewer).  I tend to do the same, and then do a lot of tweaking on the fly with the in-world editor -- but I've learned to copy my work to inventory frequently.

I sympathize.  The best I can say is that if you sit down right now and redo all that work, it will go a lot faster than it did the first time and you'll probably see ways to improve on what you lost too.  Good luck.

I think you've run into an annoying bit of expected behaviour, and one which we all find out about the hard way because it so obscure.

Essentially, if you make any changes to an attachment you're wearing, and you don't have full perms for the attachment itself and all its contents (including animations) then the changes you've made are lost when you detach it, either by dropping it or by taking it back into inventory.

I can't remember the JIRA on this offhand, but it's six or seven years old, I think.   The problem is that there used to be an exploit that meant, if you made changes to a mod/transfer/no copy item, then caused your viewer to crash, and then relogged, you found you had two instances of the no copy item -- the original one in your inventory and the modified one you were wearing.  

LL closed this loophole, which was a big problem for people selling expensive jewelry, collars* and the like, but by making sure that all changes to the worn attachment are lost if you don't have full perms over all of it.    Even if it contains animations that are copy/transfer but no mod, it will get you, I think (like I said, I don't have the jira to hand, and I can't remember the ins and outs of how this works).

The work-round is simply to edit the attachment when it's rezzed on the ground.   If that's not desirable, because you need to keep testing it, then all you can do is make sure you keep a back-up copy of the script either in your inventory or (better) on your PC.   That's always a good idea, of course.

*This is how I know about it.   A friend of mine used to make collars, which are normally sold as mod/no copy/transfer, so you can buy one, give it to your slave or submissive, and she or he can edit it for size.  My friend also gave me a lot of help when I was starting to learn scripting,  and I once complained to her that I'd lost a whole evening's work this way.

• Like 1

I do all scripting outside of SL. Besides the unability od SL to do simple things like saving scripts I have many other benefits too.

If I work on a hud I copy paste the scripts into the worn hud - as long as I test it - but to get a final version I always detach the hud and rez it on the ground. Then copy the scripts again. Thats because I could never be sure that  the changes stayed.

Now I know more but that will not change my behaviour.

Bites me now and then.  I'll be working on some attachments or the HUD for a game system I work on.  Detach, and then WHAM, scripting reverts.

What I end up doing now is after saving the script I drag an drop a copy of that script into the project folder I have going for my attachment in question in my inventory.  A lot of my preliminary scripting for MCM projects is generally done in notepad++ so it doesn't cost me a ton of work, just refining bugfixes I didn't catch on initial write, still, a nuisance.  Either way, if the attachment reverts, i got a copy of the script on file, potentially in two places.

This also means if I start up on a new MCM attachment and I know I got the script I need from another previous project I just open the folder and yoink the script I need rather then having to rez the attachment and prying the parts out.  Easier book keeping.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.