Why making Visual Studio free for small work groups is an important change for VWs devs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Microsoft has announced that it will make Visual Studio, its professional development platform, free for students, startups, open source developers and small companies to get access to it easily with no restriction on the usage, valid for production scenarios and commercial apps, with the only exception of enterprise applications.

This move will have interesting implications for Virtual Worlds developers.

This is important if Linden Lab will stick with the choice of adopting C# as the scripting language of choice for SL2. And, my guess is that LL will base SL2 rendering on Unity 3D. Visual Studio has a free plugin to develop for Unity 3D. Furthermore, the fact that MS has finally decided to officially port the .NET core to the Linux and Mac worlds is another important change.

And now that the OpenSim devs are talking about adopting C# as a scripting language, this move may have an impact on OpenSim as well. If you top all this with the fact that MS also offers a free repository system (TFS) for work groups of up to 5 people since a couple of years and that Visual Studio seamlessly integrates with GitHub as well, this move can put a complete multi-platform professional development system into the hands of a lot of VWs scripters. It's an important change.

Check this post for further reading: http://bit.ly/1uoPnXM

Estelle Pienaar wrote:

These are intersting speculations and it would make sense to use existing and widely adopted platforms. If it would really be the direction of LL, then I'd be for the first time excited about SL2.0. But for the time beig SL and LSL is what we got and I enjoy workig with it.

If I'm remembering correctly, Ebbe did state that using a more universal scripting language is precisely what LL is intending to do for the new platform (which I refuse to refer to as SL2), but that they had yet to decide which one.  Who knows if this development will influence that decision... but it is interesting.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3448 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.