Web Page Displays An Avatar Online/Offline Status

IZHRAH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, absolutely. I use this mechanism regularly for myself and others who've permitted me to view their online status remotely (though it's not against any rule to do so without asking).

You'll need a webserver that provides a flexible programming language (such as PHP), some way of writing to said webserver (such as HTTP passing to SQL or some other data-structure), and an in-world object monitoring llRequestAgentData.

I don't understand - the LSL commands don't work as an API but you can build your own that encapsulates them. Such handling of throws would be left to your imagination when you implement the LSL. You naturally wouldn't want to throw on every poll of AgentData - just implement a boolean state-switch.

What could be simpler than that? :P

Good luck, tho!

This is a touchy situation.

When the issue of Avatar Privacy and True On Line status and the rules regarding it became a major issue LL talked about disabling llRequestAgentData.  It only survived because there were many legitimate uses and also it would have broke a lot of content that depended on it.

The problem is that SL allows someone to "appear offline," and that is a privacy preference.  And technically speaking we are not supposed to do things that violate that.  And while normally speaking Linden Lab does not get involved in things that occur outside of SL, e.g., you displaying it on a Web Page, after what happened with Alt Identification which was related to it, LL might step in.

Although there is no black and white statement from LL on this, in past discussions among users it has been the general opinion that it is best to get permission from anyone who's True On Line Status you want to display using llRequestAgentData.

If I found someone displaying this information about me without my permission I'd certainly be filing an Abuse Report.

eta:shpelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.