Unique Chat Channel Question

Wandering Soulstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I have the followng snippet of code that I saw one day that gets me a unique chat channel:

CHAN = 0x80000000 | (integer)("0x"+(string)llGetOwner());

Now I have no idea what the math is behind this, but since it is seeded by the Owner's Key, am I correct in assuming that if I were to substitute llGetKey() for llGetOwner(), I'd get a channel unquie to the prim the script is running in, always?

Thanks in advance!

hmmm .. when you say collisions could occur ...

I am trying to keep the data transfer among prims to a minimum and was hoping that a prim with this in it would have a unique channel. I could easily have 100's of prims with this code running in them. This is for a building tool and so I want to be sure that a prim other than the one that calls the HUD does not hear a response.

so ... any suggestions for how to get a unique channel id?

Wandering Soulstar wrote:

am I correct in assuming that if I were to substitute llHetKey() for llGetOwner(), I'd get a channel unquie to the prim the script is running in, always?

You are right that the channel number will be based on the prim key

Take notice that the prim key isn't very stable, it is new each time a new instance of the prim is rezzed

I have the followng snippet of code that I saw one day that gets me a unique chat channel:

CHAN = 0x80000000 | (integer)("0x"+(string)llGetOwner());

1. The generated number is not unique, it is one in 2147483648 and anybody is allowed to use anyone of these channel numbers at any time
  2. The integer generated from the string uses no more than the first 8 digits from the key

Two different keys that share the first 8 digits will generate the same channel number

Otherwise it is not a bad way to obtain an almost unique channel number

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

hmmm .. when you say collisions could occur ...

I am trying to keep the data transfer among prims to a minimum and was hoping that a prim with this in it would have a unique channel. I could easily have 100's of prims with this code running in them.
This is for a building tool and so I want to be sure that a prim other than the one that calls the HUD does not hear a response.

so ... any suggestions for how to get a unique channel id?

In that case you can use the same channel number for all when you call with llRegionSayTo()

(You know the prim id the moment you get a request from it)

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.