Server-side, or local?

Rubberene

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I rent a skybox that has several configurations. The rezzer has a dialog menu, from which each "scene" is rezzed depending on which button you click.  Sometimes it doesn't work properly; the linksets rezz, but do not move to their intended positions. Which is just normal SL, most of the time.

Since migrating my machine from XP to linux, however, it seems to be happening a good deal more frequently. Like about half the time. This, however, may be coincidental, and before I go trying to "fix" something, I want to determine whether the problem is local: my machine, connection, etc, or if it is just SL being snarky.

I know that rotation is local; to the servers an object is sitting still, but to the viewer it is rotating. I am wondering if the same thing applies here.

I have noticed that when I TP back to my skybox, it is often as if I have just rezzed it;  frequently I have to wait once more while things move into place. And if things were askew when I left, they may be fixed once they stop moving after I come back, or they may be still askew, but in a different way. This all leads me toward the conclusion that prim positioning from such rezzers is local, but I am not certain.

And, no, it is not a faux-rezzer, nor are the linksets trying to rez across parcel boundaries. If my packet loss were high, I would probably have chalked it up to poor communication, but packet loss is 0.0

Can anyone tell me definitely local, or definitely server-side?

It's not completely clear to me what's rotating, if anything.  When you rez a new configuration, there's no a priori reason why it needs to rotate at all.  When you rez something, the servers put it wherever you told them to put it.  If you tell them to move it, they do that too.  Your viewer just displays whatever the servers tell them is at any spot in your field of view.  The only time when that's not quite true is when your viewer has to act independently on the instructions in an animation to make things appear to be moving on your own screen.  That includes animations of the type you find in pose balls and your AO as well as those managed by, for example, llTargetOmega and llSetKeyframedMotion.  There's no reason why your skybox would be doing that unless you have a very special skybox that's built like a rotating restaurant on the top of a skyscraper.

Ruberene nixed the rez-faux idea near the end of the OP, leaving me as baffled as Rolig. Rolig identified all the viewer side motions (other than particles), none of which would be expected in a house. I'm going to vote for coincidence... or paranormal activity.

ETA: the fog is clearing and I'm thinking of suspects.

Hi, Rolig, sorry, I guess I was not clear enough. I only mentioned rotation as an example because I know that is a kind of scripted prim movement that is solely local; I did not mean to imply that anything in this case was supposed to rotate.

The rezzer also is scripted prim movement of a sort, because it rezzes linksets and tells them where to go. I just wondered if the two are the same.

My main question is when the rezzer rezzes the linksets and moves them into position, is that a local or a server function?

Regarding Rez-Faux, as stated in my OP, if is not a faux rezzer.  To clarify, it is not a temp rezzer of any sort, Rez-Faux or otherwise.

However, that aside, yes, you have the gist of it. It is a rezzer that rezzes each linkset, then moves them into place. It is just that they don't always quite get there. ;)

Rubberene wrote:

Hi, Rolig, sorry, I guess I was not clear enough. I only mentioned rotation as an example because I know that is a kind of scripted prim movement that is solely local; I did not mean to imply that anything in this case was supposed to rotate.

The rezzer also is scripted prim movement of a sort, because it rezzes linksets and tells them where to go. I just wondered if the two are the same.

My main question is when the rezzer rezzes the linksets and moves them into position, is that a local or a server function?

When the true position of something changes, it's the servers doing it. Animations don't really move avatars, local rotations don't "really" turn things, and particles don't exist as far as the servers are concerned.

But rezzers do move and turn things on the servers, which then broadcast the changes to all viewers within range. So, if your skybox is no longer assembling itself correctly, or is failing to do so far more often than before, I'm going to say it's caused by a communcations problem between your new computing environment and the SL servers. The rezzer scripts are busy sending movement requests to the servers, and they're not getting through.

This could be because your Linux installation is using different DNS addresses, has different priorities for network activity, or because your viewer has different settings under Linux than it did under XP.

For the purpose of this discussion, when a script rezzes or moves a thing, it's the same as if you do it yourself. If there is a difference, it's that a script can rez and move stuff when you are not looking... or there.

And this makes me think I misspoke about the nature of the problem. The scripts are on the same server as the things they're rezzing, so they should have no trouble communicating. The movement of the objects may be happening just fine, but your viewer isn't being made aware of that. Someone else standing near you may see your home rezz correctly. That's an easy experiment to perform, ask someone to visit and witness a scene change.

My misstatement does not affect my thinking about the cause of the problem, a communications or configuration problem in your new Linux environment.

Well, turns out 'snot me. The sim owner came over and he sees it the same as I do. Apparently the rezzer has an autoscan function that de-rezzes it while no one is there, which explains why it has to re-rez everytime I TP home. I had never encountered a rezzer that did this before, and this is what made me wonder if the positioning was server-side. He is restarting the sim as I type this, I am hoping this will at least cut down on the frequency of this issue.

So, thanks for all the help with my little tempest in a teapot, everyone. :)

Rubberene wrote:

Well, turns out 'snot me. The sim owner came over and he sees it the same as I do. Apparently the rezzer has an autoscan function that de-rezzes it while no one is there, which explains why it has to re-rez everytime I TP home. I had never encountered a rezzer that did this before, and this is what made me wonder if the positioning was server-side. He is restarting the sim as I type this, I am hoping this will at least cut down on the frequency of this issue.

So, thanks for all the help with my little tempest in a teapot, everyone.
:)

Ooooh, that's neat. A home that vanishes when you're not there!

If it's mod, once it's all rezzed, edit it and set the scripts to "not running". Maybe you can do that even if it's "no mod".

Rezzing and positioning/rotating is all server side.

A rezzer with relative positioning will rez an object, then give the object the information about it's position/rotation. The script in the rezzed object will position/rotate then into the stored relative position to the rezzer. Allows you to mount it on a vehicle or multiple skyboxes for example.

So far so good, but a reliable script is not trivial.

The object_rez event is raised when the object is rezzed and the rezzer can transmit the data to the rezzed object. Well thats the theory. If the object_rez triggers the object is rezzed or will be rezzed soon and sometimes even much later. Means you need some efforts to make the script bullet proof against Linden sabotage. :D

Best way is to listen until the rezzed objects says hi then send the data.

If you need to use teh script you have then you need to live with it's imperfection.

Rubberene wrote:

Regarding Rez-Faux, as stated in my OP, if is not a faux rezzer.  To clarify, it is not a temp rezzer of any sort, Rez-Faux or otherwise.

However, that aside, yes, you have the gist of it. It is a rezzer that rezzes each linkset, then moves them into place. It is just that they don't always quite get there.
;)

Just for clarification, Rez-Faux is the name of a rezzing system which is used to rez multiple non-temp items at once... which is the very type of rezzer you were talking about.  A temp rezzer is something completely different.  Somehow, I understood that temp-rezzer is what you actually meant when you wrote faux-rezzer in your original post... thus, why I posted what I did.

I'm glad you figured out your problem.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.