Send information from one prim (main w/ script) to another prim (llSetText)

Jacob Forsythe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,

I have been messing with some scripts that I find in various places.

I have this one that is called : Prim_Counter__Lag_display.lsl

Can be found at : http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=651 ** URL should be fixed **

I altered it just for cosmetic reasons but nothing else.

Here's th edeal... We have a milti level residence and would like for the main prim to send the llSetText info to another prim on each floor. Either using a talk to prim or a linkset.

Can this be done? Does not have to be anything fancy dancy, just simple hovertext / llSetText would be fine.

Prefer not to be a linkset, but if that's the only way, so be it :)

Thanks

Jake

P.S.

This is a personal project, and not something that I plan on selling now or ever!

Please do not IM me asking to be paid to write this! (If you do write it)

All scripts run in the sim server, that is why The Lab sometimes refers to them as "tasks" in their documentation. LSL supports 2 straightforward methods for inter-tasks messaging: linked message and listen mechanism. The former is applicable to communicating between scripts in the same linkset (object), the latter for communicating between separate linksets (objects) or different prims in the same object. While either one may be applicable to your project the listen mechanism would seem preferrable as it addresses both cases (when communicated prims are linked and also when they are not.

Refer to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Listen

As Ela says, if your prims are not linked, al you need to do is send a message from one to another with llRegionSay or llRegionSayTo and them display the received message in hover text.  Your real challenge will be getting a separate prim count for each floor in your building.  After all, they are all in the same parcel and therefore will show up in the same total.  Your counter will have to use llGetParcelPrimOwners to sort out what each person owns and then send only that person's information to the script on their floor.  That can be mildly challenging if you are not acustomed to LSL scripting.  Take note of the caveat in the wiki:

[llGetParcelPrimOwners] WILL NOT work on group owned land if the owner of the object where this function resides is not currently online and connected to the sim (although now seems to be working for land owner on privately owned land even when the owner is not around).

• These limitation can be overcome by deeding the object to a group the object owner is one of the owners of.
  • Remember to take a copy before deeding because you cannot undeed something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.