RLV -how it does what it does

JTBorsalino

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have very basic questions about RLV and am having a hard time finding those rudimentary answers. Complex ones I can find , just not the simple ones.

1. If an avatar is not wearing a RLV enabled item (like and open collar) are you still able to undress them?

What about position, move, or trap them?

2. If an avatar is in the hunter role what settings keep them from inadvertantly being subject to controls or capture? (the viewer is phoenix)

3.  Everything I read talks about having a relay. Is the relay only necessary for the restrained party ? Is it also necessary that the restrainer have a relay.?

I'll accept any information in private message if that's more appropriate. I also would be grateful for any directions to RLV tutorials though most of the ones I find are written to assist the restrained as opposed to the restrainer.

JTBorsalino wrote:

I have very basic questions about RLV and am having a hard time finding those rudimentary answers. Complex ones I can find , just not the simple ones.

1. If an avatar is
not
wearing a RLV enabled item (like and open collar) are you still able to undress them?

What about position, move, or trap them?

2. If an avatar is in the hunter role what settings keep them from inadvertantly being subject to controls or capture? (the viewer is phoenix)

3.  Everything I read talks about having a relay. Is the relay only necessary for the restrained party ? Is it also necessary that the restrainer have a relay.?

I'll accept any information in private message if that's more appropriate. I also would be grateful for any directions to RLV tutorials though most of the ones I find are written to assist the restrained as opposed to the restrainer.

Having RLV turned on means scripted objects -- either something you're wearing or something rezzed in world -- can do things that normally you have to do via your keyboard, like take off your clothes.   RLV commands to the viewer to do something are always in the form llOwnerSay("@something_or_other...."), so in order to take off my shirt, you have to cause something that belongs to me (typically something I'm wearing) to do llOwnerSay("@remoutfit:shirt=force");

This object might either be my collar (e.g. an OpenCollar) that I've said should listen to commands from you.   Or it might be a relay, which listens on -1812221819 for commands from objects like traps, and, if the command is directed at me and I've got my relay turned on, will make my relay parse the instruction it receives and then repeat it in the form llOwnerSay("@whatever");

My collar might also act as a relay, but its collar functionality is different.    You can use RLV on me via my collar if I tell my collar to listen to you, either on channel 0 or anything else I've set.    If it's also acting as a relay, it's got a second listener open, listening to objects, like traps, on -1812221819.  

So, the answer to 1) is no, you can't do anything to me unless I'm wearing some sort of RLV enabled item.   The answer to 2) is that the hunter should turn his or her relay off (or not use an RLV viewer at all).     And the answer to 3) is that only the restrained party needs a relay (or, indeed, needs to be using an RLV viewer -- doesn't matter what the restrainer's using).   OpenCollar and some other systems have huds for the restrainer, but that's just a convenience for the person doing the restraining -- bring up the commands quickly and easily.   It's the equivalent of your saying to me, izmenu and my collar (if you're able to access it) will bring up a menu of commands you can have my collar apply to me.

You ask about tutorials -- as the restrainer, or dominant, you really just need to read the documentation for whatever your victims are using, be it an Open Collar or Tokon Hud or Bad Day Skirt or whatever.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Does anyone at all have instructions for using theDominatech relay or any other relay system?

We bought several things at Warm, only to find no instructions.  

I see from the replies to this question only the sub needs to wear the relay, but what happens then?

We are totally clueless, only trying to play a little.

Thanks much!

I've not used the DominaTech relay for ages, but relays all work the same way.

Just to recap, you need to be wearing a relay in order for objects that don't belong to you to control you (e.g. so that traps can force sit you and not let you get up).   And since there's no way of knowing in advance if the object belongs to the intended victim or not, most objects are designed on the assumption that you'll be using a relay, whether or not the trap belongs to you or someone else.

So, first  the sub has to make sure he or she has RLV/RLVa enabled in their viewer.

Then the sub simply wears the relay and makes sure it's turned on.    I can't remember how to do this -- probably clicking it, but it can't be too difficult to figure out.   It's got two modes, as I recall: one to accept RLV commands automatically and another to tell you a particular object wants to control you and is this OK?   I find it safest to keep the relay in "Ask" mode most of the time, unless I'm somewhere I don't mind what happens to me.

That's all. 

Alternatively, you (or your sub) might want to use another relay that comes with an instructions card, if the DominaTech one doesn't.   I can recommend the (free) TKpba relay, available from Think Kink. 

• 2 years later...

Ok so i have a major problem. i took pictures of all my clothes and it was working for awhile. i could put on outfits with a click of a button. but now i go online to my wardrobe and nothing is there thought i cleared it. nope i took another pic of my outfit and sent it to the email the correct one positivly and go back online refresh the page and it isnt there. i have the hud on its in my RLV folder i dont know whats wrong. can someone help me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.