Playing a facial expression kills Firestorm's AO

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've made an item that, when worn, periodically plays a sequence of the standard facial expressions using llStartAnimation. It does other stuff as well of course but nothing else involving animations in any way.

As obvious from the title, I use Firestorm's client-side AO.

When my item plays its facial expressions, sometimes it causes whatever standing animation is currently playing to freeze mid way, and my avatar sort of gets stuck in a combination of that, and the default dork mode that exists with no AO. His head starts turning like a moron's and his arms hang limply.

I've only noticed this while standing still, and other AO animations like walking or running will still work normally if I move, but my standing animation is dorked. It's hard to say how often it does this, not often but it certainly seems to do it every time I relog and the facial expression is played the first time. Also just occasionally at other times, sometimes immediately after a transport. I don't know if that's coincidence. It's enough to be annoying the heck out of me though!

Only clicking Firestorm's AO off and back on brings my standing AO back. I've tried putting an llStopAnimation in the code (which I didn't think I needed) but that made no difference whasoever to the problem.

Has anyone else seen this - any hints?

I could I suppose have the script toggle Firestorm's AO but that seems a little like brute force when I shouldn't have to. Besides, I've seen Firestorm stop responding to those commands on -8888 on occasion until reloaded, in another thing I made.

Ron's right.  This is one to ask in the Firestorm support group or, even better, in their JIRA.  My guess, though, is that your facial animations have a higher priority than the ones loaded in your Firestorm AO, so they are blocking them.  I am not familiar with how the Firestorm AO works, however, so I don't know how a facial anim is likely to affect it.

The Firestorm AO is a bit flakey is the problem. Sometimes when I am walking I will just freeze and glide across the floor. I also have a smile script which sometimes knocks out the AO.

There is a jira here http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-7682 about similar issues. Anything from crossing a sim to sneezing it seems can trigger the problem.

New version of FS in the next week or so, maybe it is fixed.

Otherwise get a free ZHAO of which this is just an example (looks kinda cool) https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Free-ZHAO-II-MB209-HUD-sD-Look-boxed/729885 and put your AO anims in there.

Thanks Ohijiro. I'm hoping the next issue of FS fixes a few things that have been bugging me, like the flickering particle issue. The client-side AO is one of the main reasons I use Firesstorm; to save having a HUD and so I can quickly switch between different AO sets. I'll wait for the next release and see if it's any better.

---

I asked here, btw, because I wasn't certain the issue was simply caused by Firestorm. I'm still quite new to scripting in SL and thought I might have been doing something wrong myself. Seems more sensible to me to ask that first, rather than just jumping and filing a bug report.

I can think of no reason in principle why playing facial expressions should affect Firestorm's AO one way or another, but I can think of several ways of writing an expression changing script that could, in practice, cause the sort of problems you describe.   

If you post your code, we might be able to help, but otherwise it's a guessing game.

Having slagged off Firestorm I thought about it for a bit. I noticed in the script that I am using that there are a lot of llSleep()s and figured that it might cause a problem. 

So I took out the sleeps  and just used a timer and I haven't noticed any problems with the FS AO since.

Give this a try:

integer express;default{               state_entry()    {        llRequestPermissions(llGetOwner(),PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION);        llSetTimerEvent(1.0);        express = 0;    }    timer()    {               if(express == 20)       {            llStartAnimation("express_smile");        }                 if(express == 22)       {            llStartAnimation("express_toothsmile");        }         if(express == 24)       {            llStartAnimation("express_wink_emote");        }                               if(express == 40)       {           llStartAnimation("express_wink_emote");        }                if(express == 42)       {           llStartAnimation("express_smile");        }                if(express == 44)       {           llStartAnimation("express_toothsmile");        }               if(express == 60)       {            llStartAnimation("express_wink_emote");        }                         if(express == 62)       {            llStartAnimation("express_embarrassed_emote");        }                 if(express == 64)       {            llStartAnimation("express_wink_emote");        }                                               if(express == 80)        {       llStartAnimation("express_smile");    }                   if(express == 82)        {       llStartAnimation("express_embarrassed_emote");    }               if(express == 84)        {       llStartAnimation("express_toothsmile");    }                   if(express == 100)        {           llStartAnimation("express_toothsmile");        }                               if(express == 102)        {            llStartAnimation("express_wink_emote");        }                               if(express == 104)        {           llStartAnimation("express_toothsmile");        }       //        express = express + 1;       if (express == 120) express = 0;    }        attach(key moo)    {        if(moo != NULL_KEY)        {            llResetScript();        }    }}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.