Need Pay Object and Receive Item Script

xBabyxDoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

xBabyxDoll wrote:

I thought it would be that easy as well, but the pay option actually displays a message that it will only work when a script is inserted...

Right, but what is wrong with BUY instead of PAY?

Buy is amount-specific.  Pay (script) is dependent on what you set the pay price window to be, including the ability to add a custom amount.  I wouldn't want to have to tell my customers, just open my profile and pay me what you think it's worth; that's an extra step and customers don't like extra steps.

I have scripted "vendors" that are really donation boxes that accept whatever the customer is willing to offer.  If you donate one amount, you get one thank you gift.  If you donate a higher amount, you get a different one.  If you write the script to recognize different levels of giving, you can use a single PAY window to manage the whole thing.  It's sort of similar to the way public TV or public radio stations give different "gifts" for different levels of donation.  I've had a couple of clients who have asked for something like that.

• Thanks 1

Rolig Loon wrote:

I have scripted "vendors" that are really donation boxes that accept whatever the customer is willing to offer.  If you donate one amount, you get one thank you gift.  If you donate a higher amount, you get a different one.  If you write the script to recognize different levels of giving, you can use a single PAY window to manage the whole thing.  It's sort of similar to the way public TV or public radio stations give different "gifts" for different levels of donation.  I've had a couple of clients who have asked for something like that.

*nods* I was about to suggest that what they really want is a donation box, but it sounds like they want it as part of the display for the product, which would mean a "vendor" instead.  I've done this too, in fact I was going to post the script, but then I thought--this is a simple and common enough script, they should be able to find it somewhere. 

Since gift vs level of donation can vary depending on the customer's needs, it would have to either be designed on a per customer basis or dynamic through something like notecard configuration, text boxes or chat commands.  In the past I've tended to go overboard with features on such projects and ended up with notecard configuration to handle it all.  That can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.  I've always had this irrational fear of loss of a script state, even though I've never had it happen.

Where before I typically used notecard configuration, I've moved away from it because it's such a memory hog.  I just finished work on an external data container system on my server, for script configuration, to free up script memory usage. The external server doesn't care what the data is, just stores and retrieves it.  I can't wait to start using it.  Something like this would be perfect to test it out.

xBabyxDoll wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking for a common script out there that allows someone to pay an object as much as they want and recieve the item. Can someone please guide me to the source for this script?
:)

This is not rocket science

default{    money( key id, integer amount)    {        llGiveInventory( id, "Item");    }}

This script will give "Item" to id no matter what amount of money is paid

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

The script was extracted from the money examples in the wiki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.