Interactive bars

Bigby McDonnell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there,

So you know there's  a way for displaying text over your head for example, and ya know... you move closer, you move far, you walk right, left and the hover text changes the size if you're far/closer and you still see the text like if you were in front of it even if you walk wherever you want (I hope I get understood lol)

Therefore, I was wondering if that can be done for example with a bar or an image, that you wear it for example over your head, and it would have the same behavior as a hover text. 

However, the image/bar/whatever would be displayed even if the user remove the particles, prims, etc.

Is there any way I can do that?

Beforehand, thank you!

There are examples of meters in RP with hover text that simulates a "life energy" bar over the head, it is done with symbols and change of colors.

It would probably be possible to have an image hovering over the head with particles, but I have never seen that. Also they would not adapt to the zoom of the camera.

The display text or the particles are always scripted into the attached prim, so they will dissapear if that prim is detached. If you wanted them to stay, you would have to place a script into the agent (avatar) and that is not possible.

And more importantly: Anything that you force onto another user that he/she doesn't want and cannot avoid easily is called griefing. Scripting for that purpose will bring you a lot of problems with other users and Linden Lab. In the Second LIfe community this isn't seen as a joke but a serious misconduct.

Thank you for your replies.

And yes I was asking it because of a game idea... I wanted it to be like more fancy with bars over their heads representing Life & Stamina but bars that I could design but yeah, I think the only approach to this concept is the bars with symbols.

Thank you again.

So you were asking about a way to force the bar on an avatar because you are afraid of cheating in a game? If this is your concern, than I would script a server prim that checks every x seconds if the avatars in the region are wearing the meter/HUD. If they take it off, then use llTeleportAgent to eject them to a "save zone".

LOL

No cheating, forcing or anything like that.

I was thinking in a game idea, a combat meter... there are combat systems (i.e. CCS, DCS2) that their meters are hover texts.

However, I wanted something more fancy and instead of creating a combat meter with hover text, it'd have bars representing the Life & Stamina over their heads and they'd increase or decreasing depending on the combat.

Thank you for your reply!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.