I'm Keeping An Eye On You

Bem Beyaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to force the same result as  CTRL + ALT + LEFT-CLICK on another avatar. I've tried the basic function on the Wiki, which could work given that we are likely to be in close proximity, but I'd be happier if I could force the other avatar's viewer to look at me specifically (I'm sure I'm much better looking for a start).

Unfortunately my forum byline would most certainly be the opposite of Rolig Loon's if I had one so I can't be sure that what I'm after may even be possible. I looked at this talk page on the very same issue which provides little hope.

Am chasing my own backside here?

If the other user is cooperative, they can have their cam directed by a script so that it looks at you or follows your gaze or whatever -- but that's only the "default" cam, the one they get after hitting the Escape key. They can still use Alt- and Ctrl-Alt mouse drag gestures to move the cam away from scripted control.

• Like 1

You can set camera parameters for another person with llSetCameraParams but only if you have requested and received PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA, and that will only be granted if the person is sitting on or wearing the object that your script is in.  You may also want to look at llSetCameraAtOffset which, again, requires that the person be seated on your scripted object.  If you can work with those restrictions, you may be able to do what you are asking.

Thank you both. It's heartening to know that I'm probably on the right track.

The device is an RLV attachment (yes, it's those cuffs, Rolig) and I have concatenated the permissions request with PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA so the captive's camera really ought to comply or I will have to know the reason why.

On Qie's comment about overriding the camera controls, perhaps I'm not testing the script properly -- with two viewers on separate monitors but still using the same mouse? I'll crank up my geriatric Windows machine and log my testing alt on that (providing the latest SL viewers still work on turf-powered computers). Failing that I'll have to find a friend to take control of me.

Also, a little bit of further research inspired by that comment suggests that I should use the devious RLV snippet "@camunlock=n" to prevent the captive overriding his predicament while the "follow" script is active.

I know this seems harsh but I see it as a usability issue: it's no fun to be admiring a tree or a lovely mesh building only to find that one's av has been taken somewhere else in the meantime.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.