How do I rotate a prim or linkset along an axis that is not the center?

Asha Arida

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rotating a prim along the X, Y, or Z axis is easy. My question is how do you rotate a prim along a non-standard axis? An example I'm thinking of might be a wing flapping or a door swinging open. These do not rotate along the center but instead the edge of the prim.

I imagine there's a fair amount of math involved, and if so what is it? Or is there an easier way to do this that I'm just not seeing?

It's all explained here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rotation#Rotating_Vectors

There's also a very good tutorial by Grandma Bates at SLU http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/tutorials/62479-introduction-rotations-translations-rotation-tutorial.html

So this, for example, is how  I might script a door if, for some reason, I didn't want to path-cut it (works in linked or unlinked prims):    You would need, of course, to play round with the offset and swing if you wanted to rotate it round a different axis.

integer intSwing =90;rotation rotSwing;vector vOffset;default{    state_entry()    {       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degress on the z axis       vector size = llGetScale();       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    }    touch_start(integer total_number)    {         list l = llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);         vector v = llList2Vector(l,0);         rotation r = llList2Rot(l,1);         llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,         PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);         rotSwing.s*=-1;             }}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/21/2013 at 5:56 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

It's all explained here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rotation#Rotating_Vectors

There's also a very good tutorial by Grandma Bates at SLU http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/tutorials/62479-introduction-rotations-translations-rotation-tutorial.html

So this, for example, is how  I might script a door if, for some reason, I didn't want to path-cut it (works in linked or unlinked prims):    You would need, of course, to play round with the offset and swing if you wanted to rotate it round a different axis.

Argh.. the migration to the new IPS forums has messed up my script's formatting

Here is the corrected version:

integer intSwing =90;
rotation rotSwing;
vector vOffset;

default{    

state_entry(){
	       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degrees on the z axis       
	       vector size = llGetScale();       
	       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    
       }    

touch_start(integer total_number){
			list l = llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);
			vector v = llList2Vector(l,0);
			rotation r = llList2Rot(l,1);
			llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);

rotSwing.s*=-1;             
		}
}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

integer intSwing =90;
rotation rotSwing;
vector vOffset;

default{    

state_entry(){
	       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degrees on the z axis       
	       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    
       }    

llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);

rotSwing.s*=-1;             
		}
}

How do I modify this script so that the door is hinged on the left instead of the right, when facing the door? Appreciate any help, I don't have experience with this.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...
On 3/18/2017 at 11:28 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

integer intSwing =90;
rotation rotSwing;
vector vOffset;

default{    

state_entry(){
       }    

rotSwing.s*=-1;             
		}
}

thank you, you save my day !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.