Getting info when touching prims

XbabylonX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You could write a script using llGetObjectDetails to get some kinds of information, but you'd have to have some way to get the object's UUID.  If all you want is standard information like the object's prim count, of course, you can always inspect it with your Edit/Build tool.  You can also set hover tips (in Preferences >> User Interface >> General ) to show you that sort of information with mouseover.

That all depends on how you write the script for the HUD.  After all, a HUD is just a scrfipted object attached to your screen. The script you create for it controls what it can do. As Dora says, you could use a sensor or cast ray.  As I said before, though, all you have to do is use your Edit/Build tool and you can get many kinds of information about a selected object.  No script required.

Using your info I founf this old thread

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Object-AV-scanner-using-llCastRay-in-mouse-look/td-p/1365957

which works as I wated, pretty handy, but it doesnt give me the correct name of my testing prims I rezzed.

For example I have a simple prim with name "The name", but when I touch it I have the following output in local chat: Name = Object

You could create a HUD that covers your screen to capture a click and then translate that into a raycast starting from your camera position/rotation.

The raycast would then be able to give you enough information that you seek.

Kind of how this HUD was done: 

You can project screen coordinates into region coordinates. For more hints on the maths behind this I can give a script, that would tell you how to do this kind of projection, if you contact me in-world.

If your careful with precisely when and where you cover the hud, you can make it unobtrusive enough so that you can alt-cam as you would normally.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.