Experiences Tools Update - Getting Close

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today Dolphin Linden answered questions at the Server & Scripting User Group meeting. Lots of information. Some discussion of the database one can associate with an experience they create.

The quotes are appering in the SL blogosphere. Mine are here: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/07/08/experience-tools-update-2014-28/ 

There is now a Knowledge Base article out on the Xp Tools: Experiences in Second Life.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone succeded to "create"  a script with Experience ?

I have got the XP viewer ; the script editor has always the "use experience"  toggle disabled.

The Documentation tells i need to be "a crontibutor experience" but doesn t tell how to become a "contributor experience"

Scripts in the Wiki inside the LSL portal fail because they don t find any experience

To sum : nothing work

Miranda Umino wrote:

The Documentation tells i need to be "a crontibutor experience" but doesn t tell how to become a "contributor experience"

From Nalate's post:

"Dolphin and Oz Linden told us the following things:

Dolphin : We are working on a beta program. Once that is done we will announce how people will be getting access to make their own experiences.

Oz: The documentation will be posted shortly.

Dolphin: We are working out the details, but we want them to be reasonably available, but not so easy acquire that people will make throw away ones to try to grief people.

Dolphin: We are still working on the rules about who can have them [XP Keys]."

...and...

"Dolphin: In order to get into the ‘creator’s’ beta Dolphin said: I would say that you don’t have to have something you want to convert necessarily, but you should be able to demonstrate that you have the experience with building/scripting to make use of the tools."

...Dres

Miranda Umino wrote:

Has anyone succeded to "create"  a script with Experience ?

Yeah. You do have to be in the beta group, and the stuff has some glitches still, but I haven't come across anything scary yet.

I did get off to a kind of bad start because I was trying on a sim that didn't yet have the Experience tools enabled, but I think they're all updated with the functionality, as of today.

Possibly because I was floundering around without success, I kind of misunderstood how the whole thing works at first. I'm not sure if maybe there's a gap in the most basic documentation, or if everybody but me already understood what may be obvious about Experience Permissions:

Not only does the participating avatar not need to grant permissions over and over, a single script gets to use permissions granted by all the participating avatars. Hence, objects that used to need slave scripts to hold individual permissions (such as danceballs and other animation servers) now only need the one Experience Permissions script, if the permission-granting avatars are willing to grant the whole Experience set of permissions. Before doing anything requiring any particular avatar's permission, the script must call llRequestExperiencePermissions for that avatar. When that succeeds the experience_permissions() event fires and llGetPermissionsKey() will return that particular avatar's key.

The script must do that little ritual to activate an agent's permissions, but it can do it any time and any place after the avatar has agreed to the experience somewhere.

It seems to me that some minimal version of this could replace the existing permissions system, lifting the restriction of each script holding permissions from only one agent at a time. Experience permissions come with a lot of other stuff, too, but I'm thinking maybe script permissions in a future SL (hint, hint) might be improved by basing them on a stripped-down Experiences model.

Qie Niangao wrote:

[ .... ]Not only does the participating avatar not need to grant permissions over and over, a single script gets to use permissions granted by all the participating avatars. Hence, objects that used to need slave scripts to hold individual permissions (such as danceballs and other animation servers) now only need the one Experience Permissions script, if the permission-granting avatars are willing to grant the whole Experience set of permissions. [ .... ]

Yes, not only that but because the KVP are all handled by a dataserver, data gathered and stored by one script are immediately accessible by other scripts running in the same experience.  This would make it possible, for example, to run several arcade games in an amusement park experience. Once a player has given permissions in one game,  s/he can move from that game to another, trusting the system to maintain and display his/her cumulative score.  Or, as another example, if you had several scripts that share a common set of parameters you could update those parameters as KVP in a single script that loads the KVP in the dataserver (think ... changing the color of a particle display, or the range of sensors, or the duration of play...).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.