Bypassing sit animation?

dd Temin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI,

Anyone know a good  script method to go directly to the desired animation WITHOUT first seeing the  normal sit animation.

The object that I left click on to "sit" has the  obect parameter set to "sit" when touched.

I am doing a change event  (change & changed_link)  as a trigger to request permission trigger Animation

And  runtime permissions event to start animation("my_animation").

This all works BUT  I see the avatar momentarily "sitting"  before begining "my_animation".

How can "sit" on that object........but  immediately  see ONLY my_animation?

i guess another way to ask this is....is there a way to CHANGE the default sit animation? 
thanks..... dd

If it's just you, then llSetAnimationOverride should do it.   If you mean you want to change it for everyone, I think you're out of luck.

However, I also think -- though I'm open to correction -- that what you're seeing is a problem local to you, caused by a slow connection or machine.   Animations are played client-side, and the reason you're seeing the delay, I think, is that it's taking too long for details of the new animation to reach your machine.   

Or it could be simply that your animation has too long a lead-in.   

It's not a problem I've ever encountered, I think, and I do a lot of scripting for one particular animator.

Are you starting the new animation before or after you stop the default one?  Try switching the order round, and see if that helps.

I declare two globals

string lastAnim="sit";string anim = "my_animation";

in the run_time_permissions event, after ensuring permissions have been granted

llStopAnimation(lastAnim);lastAnim=anim;llStartAnimation(lastAnim);

and in the changed event part, after having determined it was CHANGED_LINK,

key avatar = llAvatarOnSitTarget();if( avatar != NULL_KEY){    // get permissions for anim and start it}else{    llStopAnimation(lastAnim);    lastAnim = "sit";}

In the scripts I try to ensure that these segments get actioned as soon as possible inside the events, shuffling other bits of code around so that todying up or setting up takes place after the animations have been started or stopped.

If you sit on a scripted object 2 things happen

- the server sends the animation to every avatar in the vicinity

- your viewer receives the animation and starts playing it

If you have a slow connection and/or a slow computer that may take a while. For me the delay is only a fraction of a second. Way too short to go into the standard sit animation.

Maybe post your script or tell us a little more about what you're seeing.

As others have said, under normal circumstances, tiny animation assets download so blindingly fast that something would have to be very wrong for the default sit to really appear before the scripted one.

If, however, your scripted animation is really just to offset the avatar, I think you *will* always see that offset being made from the sit target location. That is, AFAIK, you can't quite instantly appear at the animation-offset location when the sit is initiated from some distance, but rather you'll instantly pop to the sit target and then very quickly offset as the animation specifies. (But I have no idea if that's what you're trying.)

Hi everyone :)  Thank for all your good ideas. (My PC and connection are fast)

I found the solution after trying some of your great suggestions.

I'll show the parts of the script  both before and after the "fix".

Before: 

changed(integer change)

{

if (change & CHANGED_LINK)

{
          av = llAvatarOnSitTarget();
          if (av) 
          {
                llRequestPermissions(llAvatarOnSitTarget(), PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION);
                listener=llListen(com_channel,"","","");
               llDialog(av,"HyperTransport",buttons, com_channel);
         }
         else
        {
        llListenRemove(listener);

}
   }
run_time_permissions(integer perm)
{

llStopAnimation("sit");
      llStartAnimation ("stand");//("Standing arms crossed breathing");
}  

After fix:  

changed(integer change)

{

if (change & CHANGED_LINK)

{
          av = llAvatarOnSitTarget();
          if (av) 
          {
                llRequestPermissions(llAvatarOnSitTarget(), PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION);

}
         else
        {
        llListenRemove(listener);

}
   }
run_time_permissions(integer perm)
{

llStopAnimation("sit");
      llStartAnimation ("stand");//("Standing arms crossed breathing");

}  

apparently...even though  these 2 code lines were after  the Permissions Request it finished excuting the  following 2 lines first   before   the permissions event.

Anyway  thanks everyone for all your help :)

Thanks for explaining the fix you found.

I'm open to correction here, but I think that everything inside a { pair of curled brackets } (a "scope," as it is called) executes as a unit, which would be why the listener and the dialog opened before the permission event fired.

Certainly I was always told to make sure that anything I wanted to happen after I call llRequestPermissions happens in the run_time_permissions event (which is the logical place for it, if you think about it).  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.