Honored Resident
xtc4u
0 Kudos

Any way to find out what chat channel two individual avatars are chatting on?

I want to send messages to the current chat channel, not the nearby chat (0).  In other words if I am having a private chat with someone how can a script send messages to that chat window?

Honored Resident
xtc4u
0 Kudos

Re: Any way to find out what chat channel two individual avatars are chatting on?

Reply to xtc4u - view message

I just figured out that I probabily use llInstantMessage().  Just have to find out the key for the avatar that is in the mutual chat. I could scan for them, but then I would have to pick them from a list of possilbe others if some are nearby.

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

Re: Any way to find out what chat channel two individual avatars are chatting on?

Avatars only have two choices.  They either communicate on the public chat channel (0) or they IM.  They can't communicate on another numbered channel. There is no other "current chat channel." If you want a script to send private messages to the person, use llInstantMesssage.  If the person is in the same sim, you can also use llRegionSayTo, which will send its message only to the designated person, as in

llRegionSayTo(Bob's_UUID,0,"Hey there, Bob!");

Not as dumb as I look
Rival Destiny
0 Kudos

xtc4u wrote:

I just figured out that I probabily use llInstantMessage().  Just have to find out the key for the avatar that is in the mutual chat. I could scan for them, but then I would have to pick them from a list of possilbe others if some are nearby.

I'm confused here...your title to this thread states that you want to find out the channel that two avatars are chatting on (eavesdrop?).  Your question however, seems to indicate something totally different.  That you want to be able to chat on a different channel than local, with another avatar. 

I apologize if I'm mistaken here but this sounds like something that would intrude on another's privacy?

Just my interpretation.

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

Just use llGetAgentList.  Feed it through llKey2Name if you need to filter the results by name instead of UUIDs.

Not as dumb as I look
Honored Resident
xtc4u
0 Kudos

Reply to Rolig Loon - view message

OK, so I have it all working but.....  What I really want is to send the message to the chat channel that myself and this person are in private chat.  So the original question still stands.  I know I can't send a message from an object that looks like it's comming from me, but can I send a message to the private chat window coming from the object using llRegionSayTo's second parameter of the channel to send it on.  I need to figure out that channel.

Contributor
Cerise Sorbet
0 Kudos

If you are wanting to use the avatar-to-avatar instant message windows, LSL does not have an interface for those. They look like chat in the viewer, but it's a different protocol.

There is an email gateway for responses to offline messages, but the reply addresses are time limited, and you need to receive an offline IM to renew them.

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

No, you don't.  An avatar can only receive message on either the public chat channel (0) or in IM.  Those are the only two choices.  If you use llRegionSayTo, you have to send the message on the public chat channel, or the other person won't ever hear it.  And if you use llInstantMessage, the message is sent on SL's IM network, which doesn't have channel numbers -- at least numbers that you can access.  So, if you and the other person are in a private conversation in IM, tell your script to send either

llInstantMessage(Other_Guy's_UUID, "Here is my secret message.");

or

llRegionSayTo(Other_Guy's_UUID,0,"Here i my secret message.");

Either way, the message will only be sent to the Other Guy, It will show up in his chat window, and nobody else's.

Not as dumb as I look
Honored Resident
xtc4u
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply to Rolig Loon - view message

OK, to bad.  I always found it annoying that you had to change to public chat in order to see messages coming from the bed for instance.  There you are interacting with someone and the message from the bed or pose ball goes to public chat.  You have to either switch back and forth from public chat and your private chat.  Or just have your private (intimate chat) done in public.  Oh well, I can understand the reasons for not allowing it I guess.  Spammers would find a way to exploit it.

At least now I understand the different colors I have seen in chat.  Interesting brown, beige.  I did figure out the green messages already.

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

Well, you could choose to set your Preferences to show IMs in a separate window instead of in tabs.  Then you could choose to have both windows open at once.

Not as dumb as I look