ANY way to avoid auto return now?

Yamil Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm working on a project where my client has all objects rezzed to the main group. He has a secondary group he invites visitors to and the newest project has the visitors going through a teleport which is group only, but he wants it to use the visitor group NOT the land group. I'm trying to find a way around the auto return time (which is needed for visitors) but I haven't found a successful way yet.

Posts online show linking and breaking links resets time as well as re-rezzing itself, but looks like SL fixed those methods? I was just wondering if there are any others we could use in a pinch like this. Also, would deeding the object or anything like that help at all?

You can section off a small piece of land just large enough for the tp and set that to the visitor group.  The rest of the land can be deeded or set to the main group.  The land for the tp can be as small as 4mx4m.  It is only necessary for the land under the tp to be set up this way and allow public access.  The landing point on the sim can be anywhere.

I know of no script call that does not look at the group the prim is set to to determine if someone has access.

I have no idea if this kludge is supported or if it will quit working tomorrow, but it's worked for a long time: A child prim can be set before linking to a different group from that of the root to which it is then linked, and it's the root prim's group that determines auto-return behaviour, while llSameGroup() in the child prim works for its own group.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I have no idea if this kludge is supported or if it will quit working tomorrow, but it's worked for a long time: A child prim can be set before linking to a different group from that of the root to which it is then linked, and it's the root prim's group that determines auto-return behaviour, while llSameGroup() in the child prim works for its own group.

That still works, as far as I know.  The only real catch is that you have to remember not to ever take the object back to inventory and rez it again.  If you do that, the child prim loses its original group identity and the whole linkset is set to the same group. 

For the sake of completeness I can think of two more ways but both are horrendously complex and probably not worth it.

One is to switch off autoreturn and instead set up an lsl based system to scan the parcel every now and then and return any objects that shouldn't be there. I know a group that includes some of the best scripters in SL tried that method on a parcel they owned last year but eventually they abandoned it as too impractical.

The other option is to have a bot re-rez the object whenever needed. I know that is done by people to keep permanent builds on Linden Land but again you have to ask yourself if it is really important enough for such a drastic measure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.