blender teacher-Help:)((offering to pay in many manyw ays !)

SamanthaPrater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am offering to pay for a blender teacher to teach me the basics of meshing things like gowns, shoes, etc. I am trying to learn it on my own - but I need a hands on teacher; I know I cant afford much - but I'm willing to pay as much as I can too get a hands on teacher so I can learn mesh. You can get free clothing from me in return as well!! I am legally on SSI for a disability; so my disability hinders me in learning quickly; I normally don't admit this because I don't want people to feel sorry but for people to understand.I am cappable of learning but I've allways had a teacher. please help !:)

I am going to answer this primarily because no one else is :D.

First of all your idea of "basics" are some of the hardest things there are to build in mesh -- so NOT "basic" :D.

Blender is the most difficult program I ever learned and I have learn a lot with real life jobs so even the simple things can take a lot of time.

My general suggestion might be to buy a dress (or whatever) template (that is a full perm item) and learn how to texture that  -- at least as a starting point.

Then work on some simple Blender items -- like a vase or simple chair  -- and perhaps move on from there. 

Good luck. It is good to have goals.

I am surprised the moderators haven't moved this thread.  Normally when people post that they will hire someone the moderators move the thread to the Wanted forum.  You are actually more likely to find a teacher to hire there.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Wanted/bd-p/Wanted

Benefits to Blender is it is very powerful.  It is free.  There are a ton of tutorials on YouTube you can watch to learn the basics.  Draw back to Blender is its user interface makes it very hard to learn though it certainly has improved over the years.  

If you have a little bit of money you could get Maya LT on http://store.steampowered.com/ for $30 USD a month.  The Maya LT version doesn't have all the features the full program does but I believe you can create and rig mesh in it so it does everything you need it to do for SL.  Maya is a heck of a lot easier to learn than Blender.  If you take a class at a community college you can get the student version which has all the features.

If you don't want to pay a subscription I go for Silo 2 to start with.  You can get it at the steampowered as well.  Wait till it goes on sale though.  My guess it will go on sale sometime after Thanks Giving.  I got it like 6 or 7 months ago on sale for $40.

If you have about $800 USD I go for ZBrush in a heartbeat though I can't afford it so I got 3D Coat from steampowered for $99.  It does about 60 or 70% of what ZBrush can do.

If you are going to get into clothes I definitely look into Marvelous Designer.  You can buy it outright for $550 USD or rent it per month for $60.  It is definitely the quickest easiest way to make mesh clothes though you will have to rig it in another program like Blender or Maya.  It is still a very good idea to learn the basics of polygon modeling before you jump into making clothes.

Silo 2 is probably the easiest to learn the basics of polygon modeling though you can't rig in it.

You definitely need to start small and simple like suggested by Chic.  Start with making simple polygon models of tables and chairs.  Then move on to more complicated items. 

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

I would go the Maya route if possible. You can get a 'trial' copy until it asks you to authenticate it...you can go through a ton of Youtube video tutorials to see if it's somthing you'd like to persue. 

Yes, Blender is free, but Maya is so much easier to use, with a much more intuative and streamline workflow and user interface. It's the industry standard. (3D Studio Max behind second IMHO).

Just my 2 cents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.