box unpacking problems

babbalooba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm still having problems with unpacking boxes. When I want to click and drag the item to the ground, it won't let me if I just click on its closed folder. Instead I have to first open its folder, then drag the revealed contents to the ground. That's ok if the contents is one item, but I recently bought a pair of pants, which, when I opened the folder had about seven boxes within it. I then had to drag each of these to the ground and open them separately, then copy each to the inventory, which had the effect of creating seven different folders in inventory. So, to wear these pants I would have to click on each of these folders, and it's just too crazy. I can't believe this is right...help? Also, once things are copied into inventory, is it usual to delete them from Received items?

3 answers to this question

Last question first ....  All you have to do is drag the new stuff from your Received Items folder and drop it in whatever system folder you want it to live in ... Clothing... Objects.... Textures.... etc.  When you've moved that stuff, your Received Items folder will be empty.

Now...  Yes, if you got a folder with seven boxes in it, you have to unpack each box separately.  However, if you have already moved the folders from Received Items to your Clothing folder and then dragged the boxes to the ground for unpacking, the unpacked things should end up right back in your Clothing folder.  You may have to do a little strategic reorganizing, but it's no more than a minute's work. 

Remember that you can make things a lot easier if you click the + sign at the bottom of your inventory window and select New Inventory Window.  Then you can drag things from one window to the other.  Also, remember that you can organize items (but not folders) either alphabetically or by date of acquisition, which ever is most convenient.

See more advanced tips at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Advanced-inventory-management/ta-p/1376385

• Like 1

babbalooba wrote:

I'm still having problems with unpacking boxes. When I want to click and drag the item to the ground, it won't let me if I just click on its closed folder. Instead I have to first open its folder, then drag the revealed contents to the ground. That's ok if the contents is one item, but I recently bought a pair of pants, which, when I opened the folder had about seven boxes within it. I then had to drag each of these to the ground and open them separately, then copy each to the inventory, which had the effect of creating seven different folders in inventory. So, to wear these pants I would have to click on each of these folders, and it's just too crazy. I can't believe this is right...help? Also, once things are copied into inventory, is it usual to delete them from Received items?

The multiple boxes were probably either:

1) Different sizes for the same pants

Or...

2) Different colors for the same pants.

In either case you only need to open the boxes that are appropriate for what you want to wear at that time. To actually put the pants on (assuming they're mesh pants, which is what they sound like), you just need to wear the single object that represents the size and color you want and then (usually) wear an alpha layer under them.

• Like 2

Organizing your inventory is like doing laundry in Real Life...it's something you have to do, and it's never completely finished!

Here is what I would do, but everyone has their own favorite ways of keeping track of things in their Inventory.

1. Buy new clothes!  Yay!

2.  Unpack clothes.  Ooh...seven pairs of pants!

3.  I already have an inventory folder, Clothing/Pants.  All my pants are in there.  There are also sub-folders...Shorts, Jeans, Leather...

4.  Let's say these new pants don't fall into those categories.  Right click the Pants folder, select New Folder.  Name the new folder...um, 7 colors New Pants.

5.  If the seven items in the box really are sub-boxes with pants parts in them, I'll make a sub-folder for each one, like Clothing/Pants/7 colors New Pants/Black....and Purple, Pink, Green, Beige....

6.  Unpack each color of pants, drag the pieces of that pair of pants into its proper sub-folder.

7.  Delete any bits I don't need, such as Thank You notes from the store, landmarks to the store, or unused sizes of Mesh pants.

However, USUALLY when you buy something, the box will not contain "smaller boxes".  Those little cubes in the box's contents are not things to unpack, but attachments to wear.  Often, you can tell if a cube is a storage box because it will have "boxed" or "box" in its name.  But, if you rez an object and it appears to not be a packing box...it looks like a pair of pants, or a cuff or belt or something...than just right click it and choose Take to stick it back in Inventory/Objects, then drag it to wherever you want to put in in your inventory list.

Conversely, if you Wear something and a box or a sign or a shopping bag appears on your right hand, it's not a clothing attachment, but a storage box that you need to unpack.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.