What happens to your inworld objects if you die?

Cinnamon Lohner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, didn't mean to be overly dramatic with the title.  But I do have a serious question.  I have alot of buildings that I built and that still show me as the owner.  But they are on another persons land and used to support their business.  I suppose I should work up a plan to transfer them to the land owner, but we get along great and there's been no reason to worry.  Plus we change things on a regular basis (just put the Christmas decorations up )

But what if my avatar was perm banned and then deleted?  Would all my inworld objects that I own disappear?

Keeps me up at night.

--Cinn

15 answers to this question

Well it would rather depend if you are premium or not, if you do not pay your premium account bill your account is eventually deactivated as far as I understand things. Whereas is you are non premium your account just continues whether you are in sl or not.

Message was edited by: Kwant Capalini: as to the banning question I believe not as there are certain prims we as builders sometimes use not mentioning which but they are big , and the avatar who created them is now no longer in sl.

Message was edited by: Kwant Capalini: though having said that I suppose it would depend on what the ban was for, obviously for blatant IP theft then the lindens would no doubt remove all offending items now would they not ^^

Message was edited by: Kwant Capalini: but there are things you can do , don't know if this link will work but if it does not use the search top right to look up Beyond the veil, which was a blog post some time back dealing with death and such in sl https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/features/blog/2008/02/29/knowledge-base-article-of-the-week-18-beyond-the-veil

As far as I know the objects you gave to other persons would stay as they are.. But also with the same rights so people could not ask you to change them or transfer them. This might get them in to trouble when they want to move from one sim to another because they have NO way to transfer your items (as they can't take them in to their inventory).

• Like 1

Hiya Cinnamon 

Death and Other "First Life" Worries

This article addresses some frequently-asked questions about Second Life relating to death in real life and some similar concerns.

Is there a way for me to bequeath my Second Life account and its assets to someone else if I die in real life?

Yes. Please read this article, which provides the answer to this question in more detail.

If I die in real life, will you let my Second Life friends know, perhaps by informing my Friends list?

Maybe. Linden Lab can only act on instructions that are part of a legally-recognized document such as a valid will. You would have to specify in your will that you want this action performed, and we would need a copy of the will and whatever other verifying documents we deem necessary.

I'm worried about my Second Life friend, who hasn't been inworld for a very long time, or has expressed suicidal ideation, or some other alarming behavior.  Can you check on them for me?  Can you give me their account information so that I can check on them?

We're sorry, but no; that would violate the terms of our Privacy Policy.  However, here are some links you or your friend might find useful:

• Befrienders maintains an extensive list of suicide-prevention hotlines organized by country.
  • Befrienders is itself a worldwide volunteer-based organization that, in its own words, works to "provide help to those in need of emotional support, in order to reduce the number of people who die by suicide, and enable people to explore their feelings in an anonymous, confidential and non-judgmental environment."

Well I think I asked the wrong question.  I was really just trying to find out if an avatar is ban and deleted do the inworld objects that they own stay in place or disappear.  I guess if a basic account is never truly deleted that answers the question.  But are perm banned accounts deleted and if so, what happens to those inworld objects?  I would hate to see all of my malls disappear because my avi got banned.

But I think even without knowing the answer, the proper thing to do is to go through the process of archiving the buildings (probably in a rezzer) on a regular basis and making sure the land owner has copies.

--Cinn

Hi, I had a friend who last year decided to leave SL permanently and delete her account. She had some objects rezzed on my land and as long as I owned the land her stuff was still there, before she left SL she gave me mod rights on her stuff so the 2 or 3 items she left (which were transfer) I was able to take with me when I moved. So the simple answer is YES their objects remain in SL. If there is an item that has to be returned to the deleted account it gets deleted, but as long as the objects are in world they will remain until taken by someone who has mod rights (if transferable) or returned to the deleted account.

• Like 1

Surprisingly simple answer for you, and it can be summed up with four words consisting of a name, a conjunction, and a noun exclusive to the SL vocabulary.

Gene Replacement and megaprims.

It's never been public record as to why, but many guessed that the ban placed on Gene was megaprim related, but one must remember that Gene was one of many accounts belonging to Plastic Duck, so it's simply speculation and one of many potential reasons for said permaban. So no, avatar bans don't automatically result in purged database items made by said account.

Hiya Cinn!

You might have been, as you said, a bit overly dramatic with the title, but, you also have a very good and revelant question there. I don't know if that question, or a similar one, has ever been asked, but I do know a way to make sure that a person's inworld objects are transfered to another avie or are removed after someone dies. It's a variation on an article I read a few months ago online.

The article dealt with a question posed by someone. That person had asked how would a person know if an online friend, who's personal information (real name, address or phone number) was not known, had died or simply had not been online for a while for some other reason. The advice given was, if you used a alias online and didn't give anyone your real information, that you should make a list of your online accounts (emails, social networking sites, etc) login info, including the passwords. This list could be on paper or a memory stick and placed in a safe, secure location and that information of said list was included in your will and that your will would specify who was to have access to the list after your death.

The article also mentioned secure websites that you could upload email addresses of your contacts and friends whom you wished to be notified of your death. A couple of the ways, among other ways of triggering the delivery of the death notification (for lack of a better name) emails, that was suggested was that the sites would require you to email them on a set timetable, such as weekly or monthly, or calling a special number on a similar time schedule.

I happen to think that the list idea is a good one. A similar idea could work for SL also, if LL will allow it. For SL, I suggest that members (premium and basic alike) select someone that they trust and knows how to do things in SL (in other words, another SLer. I would suggest your account/s partner/s.) as the one to handle things for their account/s after the member's death. As with the list of email contacts mentioned above, the member should make a note of their account/s name/s and password/s. Have this note give specific instructions as to the depostion of inworld objects. Such as, to use your example of buildings you've created, that are on another's land and is used to support that person's business, instructing the person that you grant after-death access to your account/s to give the land/business owner full permissions to the building/s and to transfer ownership to the land/business owner. If you have other objects, unique objects, in your inventory that you created for your personal use, but wish them to be gifted to another after your death, make a list of said objects and list who they are to be given to. Have the person reclaim any other objects that you either cannot transfer or are simply common but not transferable, then instruct them to send notice of your death to everyone on your friends list. Also instruct them to send  group notices to groups  your account/s have the ability to post group notices. For groups that your account/s cannot send group notices to, instruct the person to notify the owners of the groups of your death and ask that a group notice be sent notifying the groups of your death. After all that is taken care of, the final instruction should be to deactivate your account/s.

I'm sorry for this comment being so long, but this is something I have been giving a lot of thought to lately.

Thank you for posting that link to my Last Will & Testament creation.  It is free to all at that link at SLExchange at least until they start charging me for  posting the free item.  It is also available at my store in Shona and will remain so as long as I can afford to keep the store open.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.