Inventory refuses to load

IslaGrace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I got a new PC... so had to start SL afresh. I use Singularity Viewer.

I have tried the following:-

new install of Singularity

clearing cache (many times i have tried th is!)

installing the official SL viewer (it loaded everything.. eventually.. but next day was gone again)

using Beta Grid to let it populate (again it worked then on next log in.. bam, gone!)

logging in to a quit sim (i.e. Pooley etc)

My PC is quad core with 8 gig ram, my internet is "superfast broadband" as billed here in UK.. with 75meg download and 16 Meg upload speed and connection is wired.

I am at a loss as to what to do. It is random as to how many it lets loads.. it is getting beyond annoying now. Help anyone pleaseeee..

2 answers to this question

You are doing the right things, and they seem to have worked for a while.  Clearing cache manually, as you have, should normally repair a damaged cache and restore your usable inventory.  Your problem is that the new cache is being damaged again as quickly as you create it.  You have already taken one good step toward solving that chronic problem by using a wired connection instead of wifi.

You have plenty of bandwidth, but that's rarely a problem for SL anyway.  The challenge is the reliability of your connection.  My guess is that you are either losing data between your computer and SL's servers or you have a long ping time, so that some operations are timing out before they complete.  Ping times in the UK are typically much longer than in North America, simply because you are farther from Linden Lab, but I have seen posts from many UK residents who say that their ISPs are particularly erratic. 

The first suspect on my own list would be your router/modem.  If you haven't been rebooting them periodically to clear their RAM and improve the connection to your IP address, do that.  Consider adding different DNS server addresses to whatever your ISP provides you.  Google's free DNS servers work well for many SL residents.  Talk with your ISP as well.  There are other suggections for diagnosing and improving your connection in http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.