I have a broken link for an object

Ronda Barbosa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

(I have a broken link in my inventory for and object that is no copy and no mod and the object is missing, what does the broken link mean? and where did it come from? and what happened to my object?)

Ronda Barbosa

Thank you everyone for your reply to my issue above, the object was something I never rezzed on the ground, I only held and detached, yes I may of chosen delete instead of detach or drop, I have cleaned my cache, downloaded a different viewer and tried a different computer and still the object is gone, if LL absorbed it from my inventory they have not put something in it's place as far as I know, I did contact the creator but being that I was not the original person who bought this object they could not help me.
   The original person that purchased this object is no longer in SL and has deleted their account so I am out of luck.
  I filed and issue with Linden Labs to find out if they had taken the object but they told me that unless I buy their premium account they will not help me or talk to me about this issue.

Best regards,

Ronda Barbosa

3 answers to this question

Hi Ronda,

Links are indirect references to items in your inventory. They allow you to share no-copy items across multiple outfits, and are handier than replicating copy items into your outfits because a change to the original item propagates to all the links. Links can break for several reasons. You may have purchased something that was removed by Linden Lab because of a DMCA takedown request from the original copyright holder. The Lab often replaces those items with placeholders. It may also be that you deleted something you didn't think you wanted anymore, but was included in one or more outfits.

I, of course, have never, ever, ever, ever done that.
Not even once.
;-).

Here's an explanation of links...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-your-inventory/ta-p/1370823#Section_.4

It's possible your local copy of the inventory list has been corrupted, though I don't know if that would cause false broken link messages. You can force a rebuilt of the local inventory list by clearing the old one from cache. Here's how to do that...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

After clearing cache, restart the viewer and log-in to a quiet sim like Smith or Pooley, then wait for the inventory list to rebuild. Don't do anything while you're waiting. In particular, do not teleport anywhere.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Usually a broken link in an Outfit means that the item itself is no longer in your inventory, so there is nothing to link with.  You may have deleted it accidentally.  There are other low-probability causes, but that's usually what happened.  Here's one scenario:  You wear the outfit and you decide to change your skirt for a different one.  Instead of clicking on your skirt and selecting "Detach", you open your inventory, find the skirt, and select "Delete".  You should get an error message or a warning, but it's easy to get distracted and ignore those.  If you had actually selected the skirt itself (not the link in your Outfit), it could vanish. If you are really lucky and haven't emptied the trash recently, it might still be in your Trash folder.  Maybe.

• Like 2

One -- not uncommon -- reason for broken links in your Outfits is that the link is to a no copy object (which is the case here, from what you say) and you have rezzed it on the ground for some reason.   

That breaks the link. 

So, for example, one of my testing alts wears an Open Collar (so I can be sure the furniture and toys my business partner and I make will work with this popular collar).

Every time they bring out one of their frequent updates, she has to remove her collar and rez it on the ground to receive the update.   

When she takes the updated collar back into her inventory, all the links to that collar in her outfits are broken.   So I have to go through all her outfits, removing the broken link and saving the outfit again, this time with the updated collar, even though the collar is in the same folder it's always been in.

So, I suspect that's what's happened in your case -- you've rezzed the item on the ground for some reason.   Or maybe you clicked "drop" instead of "detach" by mistake, in trying to remove it.

If you picked it back up, it should either be in its original folder or loose in the main objects folder.   If you can't find it, maybe you didn't pick it up again.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.