Crashed and returned to find my avi grey and about 5K items missing from inventory.

Fiorcheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i crashed right before upgrading to the new firestorm. i come back on and instead of 3k items missing from my inventory its now more like 5k items missing. it also ruined the gown and my skin i was wearing when i crashed...as....i now show as grey and nothing can be put on or be taken off without it telling me it *failed to find item named *new shirt* or *new pants* in database! So i tried something...i did a female character check and that fixed the grey avi and being seen as a cloud to others...but i still am missing somewhere around 5k items from my inventory! ALL the outfits i paid for from lovecats...*the freebies are still there go figure!* and many of the gowns i bought from the white armory...of which many of those cant be replaced cus a lot of them were discontinued! i am so angry im considering DELETING Fiorcheart AND my alts plus telling a bunch of my friends to come with me to another game where we DONT have issues like this. I WANT MY STUFF BACK!!! i dont care who does it or how its done but i do not see the need to have bo BUY AGAIN outfits i have ALREADY paid for!

3 answers to this question

You have two related problems.  Fixing one of them may clear up the other one as well.  The big issue is that you corrupted your locally cached copy of inventory during the crash.  That's not uncommon, and it's not a big deal. Your inventory is safe on Linden Lab servers.  The cache is a temporary copy that is on yoiur own hard drive, where it is easier for your viewer to use it.  Normally, I would suggest that you simply clear that cache manually (not with the clear cache button in Preferences) and force the servers to download a fresh copy.  You can try that by following these instructions >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

That may clear up all of your problems.  BTW, the most important sentence in those instructions is the one that says, "While inventory repopulates, do not teleport anywhere, and do not attempt to access anything in your inventory."  Just be patient.

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing that you didn't follow the instructions on the download page of Firestorm's web site when you upgraded.  It's is important to always do a clean install, especially if you have corrupted files in your current installation of the viewer.  That will guarantee that your new installation does not inherit any of the errors that accumulated earlier.  Here's how to do that >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

Again, be patient.  Simply installing a new viewer on top of an old, corrupted one will not fix anything. You have to be sure to remove all traces of the previous version.

Finally -- more for future reference than anything else, but good to know -- the message about failing to find an item in the database tells you that one or more of your outfits has been corrupted. There's a broken link in the Outfits folder. Right now that's because your cache is corrupted, and the problem ought to go away when you fix that problem. In the future, however, if you receive a message that the system has “Failed to find [name of any item] in the database” every time you try to wear or remove something:

• Open your Inventory and look in your Current Outfit folder (must be the “Current Outfit” folder and not the “Worn” tab; this is important).
  • Look for any broken links in the folder, particularly for the item with the name in the “Failed” warning you're receiving.
  • Delete any and all broken links in the folder.

Explanation: This error happens when the broken link gets “stuck” in the folder for some reason. When the viewer tries to update the Current Outfit folder – which happens whenever you wear or remove a body part or clothing item – it detects the link in there and thinks you want to be wearing that item. So it tries to put it on you, but it can't because the link is broken, and the “Failed” message pops up.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.