Can't read a no copy notecard

Kaylira54

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I think the point is that, if it's no copy, then it rather frustrates the object of the exercise if you can make a copy of the contents with a simple CtrlA, CtrlC and CtrlV.   Scripts can read the cards, however, so they are not unusable.

It's not much of a precaution, though, since any reasonably experienced scripter can read the card by having a script chat out the card's context in local chat, but it does protect the card from casual copying.

Sometimes,  I suspect, configuration notecards get made no-copy by accident.    That is, the builder wants to make sure (for example) the animations in an object are no copy, and simply sets all the items in the prim's inventory to no copy, including any notecards it contains.

• Like 2

Because if you could read it, you could copy it.  The whole idea of making the card no-copy is to keep its contents hidden from the user.  Scripters very commonly use no copy notecards to make it harder for other people to hack the configuration settings that their scripts have to read off the cards.  It's also a way to be sure that the script won't run unless the user also has the notecard with key startup values coded onto it.

EDIT:  What Innula said.  :smileyvery-happy:  She types faster than I do.

• Like 1

Besides Innula's excellent explanation, I have had times when SL weirdness makes notecards temporarily unreadable...even ones that I have created myself.  If that's the case, they will most likely be fixed the next time you log in, or by logging in at a different location.

• Like 1

Just in case you were describing setting notecards inside media and music players "Deeded to the Parcel". First, the deeding of the containing object is what allows the scripts to be able to change the Parcel settings AND eventually cause the original NC owner information [and thus permission to edit] to be lost.

You can update these very easily.

1) Edit the media control object.
2) Select the Contents tab.
3) Drag the [locked up] Settings NC to your inventory.[it will disappear from the media control objects contents tab]
4) Edit the NC, make the needed changes to it and save it.
5) Return a copy of the settings NC back into the  media control object.

If the script has the correct logic in it it will detect the NC has changed and it will reset itself and process the changes.

This is a typical activity when the  media control object.needs radio stations supplied on a NC versus being able to prompt for media stream info and store it itself.

P.S. If after pulling the NC into your inventory you can not edit it, just return it to the media control object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.