is secondlife completely safe to download? I need to know as I have a new laptop ...

rachelzegit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

rachelzegit wrote:

is secondlife completely safe to download i need to know as i got a new laptop for christmas and i dont want it messed up with viruses?

First of all, I hate the expression "completely safe." No such thing in life; don't expect it.

With that out of the way the current Second Life viewers from Linden Lab, Firestorm, Singularity and other major viewer makers are virus free and have source code that's freely accessible so any odd code will be seen by many people.

DO NOT download any viewers from sites other than the makers' own sites and stay away from "professional editions" that might turn up on other web sites. The Linden Lab viewer can be downloaded from the site you're looking at under "Downloads" and third-party viewers can be downloaded from the links from this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

• Like 1

Second Life, and any of the major third party viewers, won't infect your computer with viruses.  Besides, didn't you get an antivirus program with that shiny new computer?  That's what it's for!

But, is Second Life SAFE?  No.  (Nor is it especially hazardous...but there ARE some pitfalls for the unwary.)  Things like:

• Getting hooked and spending all your free time in SL and neglecting your Real Life responsibilities
  • Taking objects from strangers that do things to your avatar, or ask you to let them access your account, then steal your money.
  • Following a link to a "phishing" web site, and getting tricked into revealing your password
  • Being under 18, and lying about your age to get into Adult areas.  This will get your computer permanently banned, as well as being hazardous to your morals.
  • Getting hooked on SL "Skill Games" and losing your money
  • Paying a scammer for items she doesn't own, or land she has no rights to and losing your money
  • Meeting people who get their kicks out of messing with your emotions or your head

This is why I teach a class on "Avatar Safety" every Saturday at Caledon Oxbridge University, at 12:00 noon SL Time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.